Skip to main content

An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Protest in ACE

Last Updated | September 1, 2016

In support of trade modernization and the White House Executive Order calling for establishment of the Single Window by December 31, 2016, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is preparing to roll out new ACE capabilities that support the protest process.  On August 27, 2016, CBP will deploy protest filing in ACE, at which time all electronic protests must be filed via the ACE Secure Data Portal (ACE Portal). 

As announced through a series of Federal Register notices U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has worked to transition all electronic filing of protests to the Automated Commercial Environment (ACE).  The following notices all pertain to this transition:

What can I do in ACE?

All components of protest submissions can be managed through the ACE Portal, including: creating protests, amending previously submitted protests, and viewing the status of protests that were submitted through the ACE Portal.  Note: the Document Image System (DIS) will no longer be available to support protest submissions.  All components must be managed through the ACE Portal. 

How can I receive updates on my protest(s)?

Filers who file their protest electronically through ACE will be able to check the status of a protest through the ACE Portal.  Additionally, updates will be provided to the Protest Filer and any additional identified parties via emails submitted as part of the protest.  If the protest was not filed through the ACE Portal, status updates will be received in the same manner as they are today.

How can I file an accelerated disposition?

All requests for accelerated disposition must first have a protest number on record, obtained by filing a protest through the ACE Portal.  Requests for accelerated disposition must be sent via certified or registered mail with all necessary documentation and protest number.  Once mailed, the Protest Filer can add the Accelerated Disposition Request to the protest in ACE to begin processing.

How do I get started filing a protest?

In order to file protests in ACE trade parties must have a protest filer account established within the ACE Portal.  Trade parties who already have ACE Portal accounts may request the addition of a protest filer account to their existing account.  Both new accounts and old accounts adhere to the existing structure and rules as established ACE Portal accounts.  Note: Parties who have established ACE Portal accounts or sub-accounts, and attempt to apply for a new account will receive a rejection.  If you require access to Protest capabilities, please follow the instructions below for Existing Portal Account Holders.

Trade Parties without ACE Portal Accounts

Existing Portal Account Holders

The following steps must be taken by a Trade Account Owner (TAO):

Step 1: Navigate to and select the Apply for an Account button from the right menu.

Step 2: Navigate to the Apply for an Account portion of the page and select Apply for a Protest Account.

Step 3: Complete the online form and submit. (If details are missing or incorrect, you will receive an error when attempting to submit).

An email will be sent confirming the processing of your application and providing instructions on how to access your new account.

Step 1: From the ACE Portal landing page, select the Accounts tab.

Step 2: In the Task Selector portlet, select “Protest Filer” from the Select Account Type drop down and click “Go”.

Step 3: Under Select Task, choose “Create Protest Filer”.

Step 4: Where prompted, provide your corporate information in steps one through four and submit.

  • For account identifier you may use your Social Security Number, employer identification number (EIN), or elect to use a CBP generated number.

Step 5: Select the refresh button in the Accounts portlet.

Once your account details are refreshed, you will have access to the protest filer account.

Can I still file a paper protest?

Submission of paper protests will still be supported and processed by CBP Ports or Centers of Excellence and Expertise.

What References Are Available?

CBP has published a Protest Quick Reference Guide (QRG) to the ACE Portal Training section of that covers: applying for a protest account; accessing and navigating the protest user interface; and adding and amending protest records. 

Who do I contact if I have issues applying?

For questions related to the application for an ACE Portal Account please follow the instructions on our ACE Support page.

For additional questions about protests in ACE, please visit CBP's  ACE Protest Frequently Asked Questions page.

Last Modified: Sep 11, 2023