The Federal Long Term Care Insurance Program (FLTCIP) provides long term care to individuals who qualify. Long term care is care that you need if you can no longer perform everyday tasks (activities of living) by yourself due to chronic illness, disability or the aging process. It also includes supervision you may need due to severe cognitive impairment (e.g. Alzheimer's disease).
ALERT: FLTCIP Suspension Notice
FLTCIP applications suspended beginning December 19, 2022.
Individuals Eligible to Apply for FLTCIP at Anytime Are:
- Federal employees and members of the military
- Federal and military retirees
- Current and surviving spouses of employees and retirees (civilian and military)
- Same-sex and opposite-sex domestic partners of employees and retirees (civilian and military)
- Adult children (age 18 and older) of domestic partners of employees and retirees (civilian and military)
- Parents of living employees, including in-laws, and stepparents (civilian and military)
All applicants are subject to full underwriting procedures in which they must answer various health-related and lifestyle-related questions. Please note that newly hired employees within 60 days of becoming eligible are an exception to this policy.
What Does FLTCIP Cost?
The cost of FLTCIP is based on the individual’s age when the policy was purchased and the benefit options included in the policy. Premiums do not increase as the daily benefit amount increases (with the election of Automatic Compound Inflation Option).
- Enrollees pay entire premium
- No government contribution to the cost
- Guaranteed renewability
- As long as premiums are paid, the policy cannot be cancelled
- Premiums through:
- Payroll deduction
- Debiting checking/savings account
- Direct payment to the insurance company
- Premiums are waived if an individual is eligible for benefits and met the waiting period
- An individual can decrease coverage/premiums at any time
- Premiums are not returned if the policy is cancelled or insurance is not used
- Premiums are not guaranteed but may be increased if you are among a group of enrollees whose premiums are determined to be inadequate
What Are My Options With FLTCIP?
|Daily Benefit Amount
How Do I Qualify For Coverage?
|When You Can Enroll
|First 60 days as a newly eligible employee
|Fewer questions – employee & spouse only
|First 60 days after employee’s marriage
|Fewer questions – spouse only
|Long term care open season
|Fewer questions – infrequent
|More questions – all eligible individuals
Requirements in addition to health questions include:
- Requesting individual satisfies waiting employee
- Licensed health care practitioner certifies that cannot perform 2 of 6 Activities of Daily Living and Care expected to last at least 90 days OR needs substantial supervision due to severe cognitive impairment
- Insurance company agrees with certification
- Licensed health care practitioner develops plan of care that insurance company accepts