Customs Brokers and Customs Broker License applicants should refer to this webpage for information and announcements. The statutory authority for the licensing of customs brokers by the Secretary of the Treasury is found in section 641, Tariff Act of 1930, as amended (19 U.S.C. § 1641). Rules and regulations related to the licensing of customs brokers are set forth in Part 111 of the CBP Regulations (19 C.F.R. § 111.0, et seq.). Licenses are issued to persons (i.e., individuals, corporations, partnerships, and associations) to conduct "customs business" on behalf of other persons.
Customs Brokers License Exam Information
The bi-annual Customs broker license exam (CBLE) was administered on April 21, 2021. The electronic exam was held nationwide at over 120 testing locations and via remote proctor delivery. The exam results letters were emailed to the examinees on June 4, 2021. First appeals for the April 2021 exam are due to CBP no later than August 3, 2021.
The April 21, 2021 CBLE resulted in a 19% pass rate prior to appeal decisions.
The October 8, 2020 CBLE resulted in a 37% pass rate prior to appeal decisions.
Broker Exam Questions
CBP welcomes the submittal of new questions for future broker exams. Please submit your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Future Exam Questions" in the subject line. Select HERE for the Guidelines on writing new questions.
Modernization of the Customs Broker Regulations
U.S. Customs and Border Protection announces the publication of the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) for the long-awaited update to 19 CFR 111. The NPRM for modernization of the Customs broker regulations (85 FR 34836) and elimination of Customs broker district permit fee (85 FR 34549) published June 5, 2020. The comment period ended August 4, 2020.
It is suspected this will address many of the Commercial Customs Operations Advisory Committee's (COAC) recommendations. Some are listed below:
- Replace the “district permit” and “national permit” with “the permit” to better reflect the transition to a single permit framework that operates at the national level within the customs territory of the United States.
- Require brokers to have a single permit that allows them to have sufficient authority to conduct customs business at the national level within the customs territory of the United States. This will also eliminate the need for brokers to request permit waivers.
- Prepare a transition plan to a single permit.
- Require brokers to provide satisfactory evidence of how the entity intends to exercise Responsible Supervision and Control.
- Make enhancement to ACE for broker reporting and Streamline Broker reporting.
- Update the factors related to Responsible Supervision and Control related to the transition of managing under the national permit that would replace the district permit.
- Require that the Power of Attorney come directly from the Importer to the Broker.
- Remove specific dollar fee amounts and reference a single source location for fees allowing greater flexibility.
- Expand Broker payment options to include electronic payment of fees.
- Provide for reasonable steps to include the review of publicly available, open source information to authenticate the identity of the broker.
- Require that customs business may be conducted only within the customs territory of the United States.
- Provide for the storage of electronic customs records within the customs territory of the United States
FEE UPDATED CALENDAR YEAR 2020
Effective October 1, 2020, the COBRA Fee for permits (USER FEE) is $150.33 (was $147.89).
Effective January 1, 2019, the broker application finger printing fee is $11.25 (was $10.00).
Broker Management Officer (BMO) Contact Information
Broker Management Officer
BMO Phone Number
Assistant Center Director
|Agriculture and Prepared Products Center|
155 Gannett Drive, South Portland, ME 04106
200 N Mariposa Road, Nogales, AZ 85621
Great Falls, MT
200 N Mariposa Road, Nogales, AZ 85621
|Apparel, Footwear and Textiles|
101 E Main Street, Norfolk, VA 23510
200 E Bay Street, Charleston, SC 29401
301 E Ocean Blvd., Ste 900, Long Beach, CA 90802
(414) 486-7790 x2021
4915 S Howell Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53207
6601 NW 25th Street, Miami, FL 33122
|Automotive and Aerospace Center|
New York, NY
John F. Kennedy Intl Airport, Building 77, 2nd Floor, Executive Office, Jamaica, NY 11430
40 S Gay Street, Baltimore, MD 21202
150 N. Royal Street, Suite 3004, Mobile, AL 36602
1000 Second Avenue, Suite 2100, Seattle, WA 98104
10980 I-29, Suite 2, Pembina, ND 58271
5600 American Blvd. W, Ste. 760, Bloomington, MN 55437
2801 B. West Fort Street, Suite 123, Detroit, MI 48216
|Base Metals Center|
New Orleans, LA
423 Canal Street, Room 251 New Orleans, LA 70130
Mary Lou Belfiore
5600 Pearl Street, Rosemont, IL 60018
6747 Engle Road Cleveland, OH 44130
|Consumer Products and Mass Merchandising Center|
300 Jefferson Blvd., Suite 106, Warwick, RI, 02888
Thomas E. Rice
1901 Crossbeam Drive, Charlotte, NC 28217
157 Tradeport Drive, Atlanta, GA 30354
(813) 241-6743 x242
1803 Eastport Drive, Tampa, Florida 33605
300 Ala Moana Blvd, Honolulu, HI 96850
St. Louis, MO
(314) 428-2662 x210
4477 Woodson Road, St. Louis, MO 63134
Dallas/Ft Worth, TX
7501 Esters Blvd., Suite 160, Irving, TX 75063
San Francisco, CA
555 Battery Street, San Francisco, CA 94111
605 W 4th Avenue, Anchorage, AK 99501
|Industrial & Manufacturing Materials Center|
237 W Service Road, Champlain, NY 12919
726 Exchange Street, Suite 400, Buffalo, NY 14210
1 E Bay Street, Savannah, GA 31401
Bernadette R. Howe
22685 Holiday Park Drive, Suite 15, Sterling, VA 20598
Bernadette R. Howe
200 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106
715 Bob Bullock Loop, Laredo, TX 78045
8337 NE Alderwood Road, Portland, OR 97220
|Petroleum, Natural Gas and Minerals Center|
St. Albans, VT
50 S. Main Street, Suite 100R, St. Albans, VT 05478
10 Causeway Street, Boston, MA 02222
2350 N Sam Houston Pkwy E, Suite 900, Houston, TX 77032
|Pharmaceuticals, Health and Chemicals Center|
David R. Gault
2813 Business Park Dr., Building 1, Memphis, TN 38118
El Paso, TX
9400 Viscount Blvd., El Paso, TX 79925
Otay Mesa, CA
9777 Via De La Amistad, San Diego, CA 92154
Lisa Santana Fox
|San Juan Field Office|
San Juan, PR
State Rd 165 Kilometer 1.2, Guaynabo, PR 00968