Coffee Imported to Puerto Rico
New Class Code for Coffee Imported into Puerto Rico
Last Updated | May 1, 2018
On April 28, 2018 U.S. Customs and Border Protection will deploy a new class code in ACE for coffee imported into Puerto Rico (19 USC 1319).
What will change in ACE?
- Pursuant to 19 USC 1319, additional duties are assessed on any coffee imports into Puerto Rico.
- On April 28th, ACE will be updated with a new, separate class code (class code 672) to account for these additional duties on coffee imports into Puerto Rico.
Title 19 USC 1319 provides that duty will be assessed on any coffee imported into Puerto Rico; foreign, domestics or blends. This law empowers the Legislature of Puerto Rico to impose the tariff duties on all coffee importations.
These duties are imposed by the Legislature of Puerto Rico by Joint Resolution #59, approved by the Governor of Puerto Rico on May 5, 1930, and by Act #77, approved on May 5, 1931, as amended by Act#7, approved on April 9, 1934.
Harmonized Tariff Schedule #s:
- Roasted Coffee: 0901
- Instant Coffee or preparations there of: 2101.11 – 2101.12
- Milk based liquid coffee products: 2202.99.28
- Water based liquid coffee products: 2202.99.90
- Regular coffee duty is $2.50 per pound
- Instant coffee, preparations of coffee (including liquid coffee) the duty is $1.25 per dutiable pounds of coffee. To find the dutiable pounds of coffee, the manufacturer needs to provide the Yield Factor. Yield Factor = how many pounds of regular coffee were used to obtain a pound of instant coffee.
What will stay the same?
Domestic formal entry summaries for coffee will continue to be presented non-ABI.
What additional resources are available?
- ACE CATAIR Entry Summary Create/Update.
- ACE Business Rules and Process Document
- ACE CATAIR Daily Statement
Who do I contact if I have issues?
- For questions concerning class codes for imported coffee to Puerto Rico, please contact AskACE@cbp.dhs.gov.