Small Business Outreach
The Small Business Regulatory Enforcement Fairness Act (SBREFA) mandates that CBP educate small and medium businesses on their compliance regarding importing and exporting into the U.S. This requirement is met by CBP’s Office of Trade Relations (OTR), who through various outreach efforts, raises awareness of resources available.
OTR has a national and regional partnership with the Small Business Administration (SBA). We are responsible for managing CBP's outreach and communications with the international trade community, including the small and medium sized business community. OTR ensures that the trade community and the public understand that trade is an integral part of CBP's mission; making America safer, stronger, more prosperous, and economically competitive. As we continue to focus on economic growth, OTR has partnered with SBA’s Office of the National Ombudsman and other small business entities to educate small and medium business owners on trade facilitation and compliance as it relates to importing, exporting and the global supply chain.
OTR’s outreach efforts to the small business community comes in various forums; webinars, in-person roundtables and Small Business Trade Days.
Topics covered may include a variety of information, such as:
- CBP’s role in Trade imports and exports - Automation and Partnership
- What small business owners need to know and what they should avoid when importing into the U.S.
- The role of the Broker in imports and exports, and how they can help
- Resources available to the small and medium businesses (SBREFA, SBA Programs and DHS/CBP Contract Opportunities)
- April 17, 2019: SBA/SBDC Trade Day – Oklahoma
- August 2, 2019: Workshop with TransAtlantic Expo – Dallas, TX
- September 3-6, 2019: SBDC Annual Conference – Long Beach, CA
- December 11, 2018: CPSC Webinar with NCBFAA
- September 26, 2018: Trade Day with CONECT – Natick, MA
- April 26, 2018: Industry Trade Day – Laredo, TX
- March 5, 2018: Webinar with NCBFAA
- March 9, 2017: Industry Trade Day – San Diego, CA
If you have any questions, or would like to discuss an opportunity to collaborate with CBP in our outreach efforts, please contact OTR at (202) 344-1440 or firstname.lastname@example.org.