CBP History Program
|Derby Line, Vermont and Rock Island, Canada Border Crossing - Early 1930s|
Customs port director, inspectors, inspectress, and patrol inspectors sit for a portrait with the Immigration Service's immigrant inspectors and patrol inspectors on the steps of the temporary border inspection station at Derby Line.
The U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) History Program's mission is to honor and preserve the history and achievements of the organization's past and present through research, education, and informative presentation to and for the people of CBP, its stakeholders, and the public.
The History Program supports an extensive Archive with:
- Print material in various formats
- Uniforms and official uniform emblems
- Wide range of ephemera
In addition, the History Program maintains a large reference collection relating to current organizational history and that of the legacy organizations that were united in 2003 to form U.S. Customs and Border Protection.
CBP’s History Program is also actively involved in the research, design, and production of a range of exhibits mounted in the Ronald Reagan Federal Building (CBP headquarters location), and serves as a consulting partner in exhibit planning for field locations.
|Detroit, Michigan 1944|
Ann Stankun and Louise Boer, the first women to serve as immigrant inspectors at the port of Detroit, are closely monitored by their supervisor during passport review.
|El Paso, Texas 1927|
U.S. Immigration Service Border Patrol inspectors in formation in front of the Border Patrol's first training facility in Camp Chigas.
|Derby Line, Vermont, 1930s - The first Customs and Immigration border inspection station at this point of entry was located in the Derby Line Hotel. Inspections took place in the street which led to the international crossing to Rock Island, Canada.||1906 - Chief Chemist Walter L. Howell stands in the laboratory in the U.S. Custom House in New Orleans, Louisiana. This Customs laboratory was established in 1900.|
|Circa 1920s - Laboratory in the Department of Agriculture's Federal Horticultural Board Inspection House which was located on the National Mall at 14th Street and Independence Avenue in Washington, D.C.||1905 - Customs cutter leaves the dock at the U.S. Custom House in San Juan, Puerto Rico. In the background is the U.S. Post Office then under construction.|