1997 Highway 54 South
Alamogordo, NM 88310-7377
Phone: (575) 812-6840
Fax: (575) 434-5937
The Alamogordo Station was established in 1926 with a complement of two Patrol Inspectors. They conducted station business out of their homes until 1938. The primary duty of the inspectors was to check trains for illegal aliens while the steam locomotives stopped for fuel and water.
The station was increased to 10 Patrol Inspectors by 1940. Their duties were expanded to include observing vehicle traffic. In 1959, the station area was divided with the eastern half going to the newly created station at Carlsbad, New Mexico. The remaining portion became the present station area which consists of 16,285 square miles.
The Alamogordo Station area is characterized by mountain ranges and a large valley all oriented in a south to north direction. The valley, called the Tularosa Basin, extends 100 miles north and is 30 to 40 miles in width. Two large military bases are located in the area, Holloman Air Force Base and White Sands Missile Range.