288 VT Route 114
Canaan, VT 05903
Phone: (802) 266-3035
Fax: (802) 266-7202
History and Area of Responsibility
Border Patrol coverage of New Hampshire and eastern Vermont began in 1924. Due to limited personnel and equipment, patrol functions were on a restricted scale. Only one or two men were available and then only intermittently.
Officers were first stationed at North Stratford, New Hampshire and then at Canaan, Vermont. The station at Beecher Falls, Vermont, was permanently established in July 1926. In 1931, a station was established at Island Pond, Vermont, and continued in operation until after World War II. When the Island Pond station was closed, the Beecher Falls station worked all of Essex County, Vermont. Coos, Grafton and Carroll counties in northern New Hampshire came under the control of the St. Albans Sector on Nov. 1, 1949, and were assigned to Beecher Falls. Oxford County, Maine, was included in the Beecher Falls area of responsibility from 1960 until 1983, when a new station was opened at Rangeley, Maine.
The office of the Beecher Falls station was first located in the railroad station. At this time, there were three bridges over Hall Stream by which persons could enter the United States. Entrants would cross one of the bridges, come down Hall Stream Road to Beecher Falls and go to the railroad station to report for inspection. The only port of entry in the area was at Beecher Falls. During 1929, the three bridges were destroyed and a new customs and immigration office was constructed at its present site on Route 102 on the border between Comins Mills, Quebec, Canada, and Beecher Falls.
The Border Patrol occupies two rooms on the second floor of the Port of Entry building, with two additional rooms as detention cells.