The first Border Patrol Sector Headquarters in this area was established in 1924, at Newport, Vermont. The office was later moved to Derby Line, VT, on the border about 20 miles north of Newport. In July 1940, the Border Patrol force in Vermont was tripled to 66 officers. Stations were established at Plymouth, NH, and White River Junction and Rutland, VT, in October 1940. Ten months later, the Plymouth office was closed. The White River Junction, Island Pond, and Rutland offices were closed in 1946.
In November 1949, the Newport Sector was closed and re-opened as the Rouses Point Sector, with jurisdiction over the entire state of Vermont, Clinton, Essex, and Washington counties in New York, and Coos, Grafton, and Carroll counties in New Hampshire. In July 1956, the Sector Headquarters was moved to St. Albans, VT, and Warren County, NY was added to the sector area. On October 3, 1965, Sector Headquarters was moved to a new facility, where it currently remains, in Swanton.
On July 1, 1982, the Ogdensburg Sector was closed and a portion of the Ogdensburg territory was assigned to Swanton. This new portion included the counties of Franklin, St. Lawrence, Hamilton, and a portion of Herkimer County, all in the state of New York.
In 1949, wartime appointees were released in a reduction in force action. From that time, until the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, the authorized personnel level of the Sector remained fairly steady.
Area of Responsibility
The Swanton Sector area of responsibility encompasses some 24,000 square miles and includes all of the state of Vermont; Clinton, Essex, Franklin, St. Lawrence, Hamilton, and Herkimer Counties of New York; and Coos, Grafton, and Carroll Counties of New Hampshire.