Constituent Correspondence Guide
The Office of Congressional Affairs (OCA) is committed to assisting congressional staff with constituent casework. OCA serves as the single point of contact within CBP for communications between CBP and Congress. To help expedite congressional correspondence, please submit correspondence in accordance with the following guidance.
Please address all inquiries to:
John P. Ladowicz
Office of Congressional Affairs
Please ensure all correspondence submittals include the following:
- A cover sheet containing a congressional staff point of contact including a phone number and email, and a return address where a hard copy response should be sent. If an electronic response is preferred, please indicate this on the cover sheet
- A brief description of the issue.
- A detailed statement from the constituent clearly describing the issue(s). Typed letters are preferred. Illegible documents will delay the process
- All supporting documentation (for travel inquiries, please include the legal name and date of birth of the traveler)
- If you are inquiring about a CBP issue on behalf of a constituent, in accordance with the Privacy Act of 1974, CBP requires a privacy release form signed by the individual before we can assist you. The Privacy Act prohibits CBP from releasing any personal information about an individual without the individual’s written authorization. The authorization must clearly state that the individual is authorizing CBP to release his or her personal information to your office, and not merely authorizing your office to look into a matter on the individual’s behalf. To expedite the inquiry, please include a copy of the completed form with any fax, mail, or email communication to our office.
Correspondence Transmission (Email is preferred)
FAX: (202) 344-2152
Mail: U.S. Customs and Border Protection, Office of Congressional Affairs, 1300 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Suite 5.4A, Washington, DC 20229
Timeframe for Official Responses
The timeframe for completing an official response on letterhead varies based on the complexity and nature of the inquiry. Please note that some responses may take more than 90 days.
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions.
OCA office hours are Monday – Friday, 9:00 am – 5:30 pm
Phone: (202) 344-1760 or (202) 344-1750