An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

  1. Home
  2. Trade
  3. Priority Trade Issues
  4. Revenue
  5. Bonds
  6. Voided Importer Record FAQs

Voided Importer Record FAQs


Importer records may be voided for the following reasons:

  • Duplicate records are on file with CBP
  • The importer’s Social Security number or Employer Identification number cannot be verified with the appropriate government agency (Social Security Administration or Internal Revenue Service respectively)
  • The importer, their authorized agent (with a valid Power-of-Attorney), or local CBP Officer has requested that the record be voided
  • CBP has received returned (undeliverable) mail when attempting to contact the importer via the US Postal Service
  • Failure to respond to CBP requests sent to the name and address listed on the importer record

19 CFR 24.5, CBP Directive 5610-002A, and the instructions located on the backside of the CBP 5106 Form.

Email a completed CBP 5106 along with a valid importer record proof and Power-of-Attorney that is no more than one year old (if 5106 is signed by an Attorney-in-Fact) to The subject line should state “Void IR#”.

**NOTE: CBP Form 5106 must be signed by an officer of the company (President, VP, Secretary, Treasurer, CEO, COO, etc.) or a broker with power-of-attorney (POA).**

Relative to the type of importer record number, the following documents are acceptable proof:

Social Security Number – A copy of the importer’s Social Security card (front & back). Or submit a copy of the front page of the importer’s most recent tax return.

Employee Identification Number (EIN) – Pre-printed documentation received from the U.S. Department of Treasury, i.e. Internal Revenue Service (IRS), within the last 12 months that reflects the proper EIN and company name. Examples of IRS tax documentation include the following: 147C, 1040, 2363, 941/941V, SS-4, 1065, 8109/8109C, 7004, 355-ES, 1096, 1120/1120S, etc. You can call 1-800-829-0115 in order to obtain EIN verification (form 147C) if necessary. THE ABOVE DOCUMENTS MUST BE RECEIVED FROM THE IRS, U.S. DEPARTMENT OF TREASURY.

Note: W-9 applications, SS-4applications, State documents, and any documentation submitted to the IRS are unacceptable.

U.S. CBP Assigned Number – There is currently no documentation provided by CBP when issuing a CBP-assigned number. Only a completed CBP 5106 form and POA if signing on behalf of an importer, are required.

Please allow 5 business days to process an application to reinstate a voided importer record.

No. We do not contact importers or agents once an account is reactivated. If you do not receive correspondence from a CBP representative within 2 business days after submitting your 5106 and supporting documents, please query CBP systems to validate that the account has been reactivated. A CBP representative will contact you if there is an issue regarding the documents you submitted for reactivation. You are responsible for contacting any applicable parties to resume shipping/receiving activities after your account is reactivated.

Contact the Surety Bonds & Accounts helpdesk at (317) 614-4880.  If you reach the voicemail, a CBP representative will respond within 2 business days.

No. Any licensed Customs broker with ABI or ACE access can determine the current information on file with CBP for a given importer number.

Email your request, including a reason for the void request, to with the subject line as Void IR#. If you are requesting a void as an Attorney-in-Fact on behalf of an importer, you will also need to provide a current Power-of-Attorney.

If you are attempting to reactivate an inactive importer record, please note that any licensed Customs broker with ABI access may accomplish this by retransmitting the data to CBP.

If you are attempting to change or otherwise update an existing importer record, please contact your local service port, a licensed Custom Broker with ABI access, or submit a completed CBP 5106 form via email to with the subject line of Update IR#.

Last Modified: May 15, 2024