The International border area of Arizona was originally patrolled by mounted guards from 1904 until July 1, 1924. On July 1, 1924, Walter F. Miller, the first Chief Patrol Inspector of the sector, organized what was then called the Nogales Sector. The sector was made up of 9 former mounted guards and 26 officers who were selected from a Civil Service Register for railway postal clerks. Equipment for the sector consisted of three government owned vehicles, several rental vehicles, and sufficient horses to provide transportation for the remaining officers. The officers were distributed among 11 stations as follows: Nogales 13; Naco 4; Douglas 4; Patagonia 2; Sasabe 2; Tucson 2; Ajo 2; Amado 2; Hereford 2; Parker Canyon 2; and Tubac 2.
Subsequently, the sector opened stations in Gila Bend and Bowie in 1925 with two assigned inspectors each.
On July 1, 1926, the sector headquarters was moved to Tucson, Arizona and the name was changed to Tucson Sector. At this same time, the manpower at Tucson station increased from two patrol inspectors to four and a new station with two patrol inspectors was opened in Casa Grande, Arizona.
Tucson Area of Responsibility
Today, Tucson Sector is one of the busiest sectors on the Southwest Border, covering 262 miles of linear border from the Yuma County line to the Arizona/New Mexico state line. Its made up of nine stations that are broken down into three corridors. These nine stations are located in Why, Casa Grande, Tucson, Nogales, Willcox, Sonoita, Bisbee, Douglas, and Three Points.