Highways 170 and 67
Post Office Box 929
Presidio, Texas 79845
Phone: (432) 229-3330
Fax: (432) 229-3893
History and Area of Responsibility
The Presidio Station opened in 1921 as the Mounted Patrol Headquarters. The Presidio Border Patrol Station has been in continuous operation since its creation under the Immigration Act, which was passed by Congress on May 28, 1924. The first two mounted patrol inspectors were Myles Scannell and Fletcher Ralls who were grandfathered into the Border Patrol. Shortly after he was promoted to senior patrol inspector, Myles Scannell was gunned down by a smuggler while patrolling the border near Redford, Texas, about 16 miles downriver from Presidio in 1929.
The Presidio Station Area of Responsibility consists of the southern half of Presidio County, the fourth largest county in the state of Texas. Presidio is responsible for gaining operational control of 1,100 square miles, which 113.8 miles is along the International Border with Mexico, the second largest linear area of responsibility on the Southwest Border. The primary duties of the Presidio Station consist of sign-cutting/tracking and line watch operations.
Presidio Station is located on the northern edge of Presidio, Texas along the banks of the Cibolo Creek. Presidio, Texas is situated on the Rio Grande River across the U.S.-Mexico border from Ojinaga, Chihuahua, Mexico.