3003 West Highway 90
Alpine, Texas 79830
Phone: (432) 837-6100
Fax: (432) 837-2780
History and Area of Responsibility
The Alpine Station was opened in 1924. It was operated as a station and later as a Sector Headquarters. In 1953, the station was closed and the personnel were transferred to Fort Stockton to re-activate that station. While the station was closed the border area of the Alpine Station was assigned to the Marfa Station.
At various times during the operation of the station, a "horse camp" was used at Glenn Springs (now part of the Big Bend National Park), and a two-man substation was operated at Terlingua, 85 miles south of Alpine.
The Alpine Station's area of responsibility includes 158 miles of international border with the Republic of Mexico as well as the vast majority of the 6,193 square miles that comprise Brewster County, Texas.
With current personnel resources, the primary station activity involves the continuous operation of two highway traffic checkpoints on Highway 118 and Highway 385.
The Big Bend Substation, which was first staffed in 1987, provides an essential on-site presence in the Big Bend National Park, intelligence development and liaison with the National Park Service.