An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

  1. Home
  2. Travel
  3. For U.S. Citizens/Lawful Permanent Residents

For U.S. Citizens/Lawful Permanent Residents

USCIS Extends Green Card Validity Extension to 24 Months for Green Card Renewals

If your permanent resident card or conditional permanent resident card has expired and you have already applied to renew it or remove conditions, you may show your expired card along with your receipt notice as evidence of continued status. USCIS has revised language on receipt notices for Form I-90, Form I-751, and Form I-829 that extend the validity of a permanent resident card for 24 months.

If you are a U.S. citizen traveling abroad, get the information you need to smoothly navigate your return back into the United States, including:

If you are a lawful permanent resident, you may be eligible to become a U.S. citizen after five years of becoming a lawful permanent resident, or three years if you are married to a U.S. citizen. More information on the naturalization process and available citizenship materials can be found at the Citizenship Resource Center.

Travel Videos for U.S. Citizens

Last Modified: Aug 21, 2023