An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

  1. Home
  2. Travel
  3. For U.S. Citizens/Lawful Permanent Residents
  4. Are You Planning a Trip to Mexico from the United States?

Are You Planning a Trip to Mexico from the United States?

Warning: it's Illegal to Carry Firearms or Ammo into Mexico.

For border crossing information, tune into the port of entry's Loop Radio on 1620 AM.
Report drug and alien smuggling. Call (956) 542-5811 in the U.S., 001800-0105237 from Mexico.

Prohibited/Permissible Items

  1. All articles acquired in Mexico must be declared.
  2. $800 exemption for gifts and personal articles, including one liter of alcoholic beverages per person over 21 every 30 days.
  3. Cuban cigars are prohibited.
  4. Check with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) about importing any medications prior to crossing into Mexico.
  5. CBP has a zero-tolerance policy on illegal drugs. Any type, in any amount may result in serious fines, seizure of vehicle, federal record and/or imprisonment.
  6. Switchblade knives, sea turtle boots or any other articles of endangered species (i.e. spotted cats, coral, crocodile, elephant, etc) are prohibited.

Prohibited/Permissible Agricultural Items

  1. Most fruits are prohibited (No oranges or apples)
  2. Do not take U.S. fruits and meats to Mexico-You cannot bring them back.
  3. Before you go to Mexico, ask a CBP Officer for a list of items you can bring back.
  4. Fines of $50 to $1,000 may result if you fail to declared agricultural items.

Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission

  1. You must be 21 years of age to possess alcoholic beverages, if you are not 21, the alcohol will automatically be confiscated.
  2. One liter of alcohol and one case of beer may be imported per person every 30 days.
  3. No ID=no liquor. You must prove that you are 21 or older. If you show false or altered personal identification, the ID will be confiscated and you will be prosecuted.
  4. If you are 18 or over one carton of cigarettes may be imported.
  5. It is illegal in Texas to consume or possess with intent to consume alcoholic beverages in a public place on Sundays between 2:15 a.m. and noon or on any other day between 2:15 a.m. and 7 a.m.
  6. You are required to pay state tax on all alcoholic beverages and all cigarettes imported into Texas.
Last Modified: May 11, 2018