US flag Official website of the Department of Homeland Security

Lapse in Federal Funding Impact on CBP Website Operations Notice

NOTICE: Due to the lapse in federal funding, this website will not be actively managed. This website was last updated on December 21, 2018 and will not be updated until after funding is enacted. As such, information on this website may not be up to date. Transactions submitted via this website might not be processed and we will not be able to respond to inquiries until after appropriations are enacted.

 

Aviso del impacto de la interrupción de fondos federales en las operaciones del sitio web del Oficina de Aduanas y Protección Fronteriza de los Estados Unidos (CBP, por sus siglas en inglés)

AVISO:  A causa de la interrupción de fondos federales, este sitio de web no será administrado activamente. La última actualización a este sitio web se realizó el 21 de diciembre de 2018 y no se harán más actualizaciones hasta que el gobierno reanude operaciones; por ende, puede que el sitio web no refleje la información más reciente. Es posible que no podamos procesar transacciones ni responder a
preguntas hasta que se reanuden operaciones.

New Orleans Station

Physical Address:
3819 Patterson Road
New Orleans, LA 70114

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 6218
New Orleans, LA 70174

Phone: (504) 376-2830
Fax: (504) 376-2836

The New Orleans station was first established in 1927 to control deserting crewmen and prevent the illegal entry of aliens along the Gulf of Mexico coastline. Prohibition had resulted in the clandestine operation by alcohol smugglers, primarily by boat from islands in the Caribbean. These smugglers would frequently include undocumented aliens in their cargo also. The booming economy of the late 1920's prompted many alien crewmen to desert their ships to seek jobs ashore. In 1933, the Volstead Act was repealed and liquor smuggling ceased for all practical purposes and alien smuggling decreased. During the Depression, the New Orleans station was closed as an economic measure.

 

New Orleans Station

 

In 1941, the station was reestablished, because of the need to control the large number of crewmen desertions at the Port of New Orleans and an influx of other undocumented aliens into the area. During 1942, as a result of World War II, the need for maintaining tight security along the Gulf Coast arose, and several temporary stations were established in the area. These stations were responsible for preventing the landing of enemy agents and saboteurs along the coast, and their infiltration into the interior of the United States. These temporary stations remained open for about six months.

 

At the end of the war, the station's force was reduced and normal operations resumed. These operations included crewman control, ship search, checking transients and task force operations to Arkansas, Mississippi and Tennessee, and checking for undocumented aliens on farms and ranches.

In 1958, the station was assigned the primary mission of controlling desertions of alien crewmen entering into the Port of New Orleans. This is still a priority of the station today.

In addition to crewman control, the station today handles the full scope of Border Patrol activities including city patrol, employer sanctions investigations, criminal aliens, anti-smuggling and transportation checks of commercial carriers.

Last modified: 
March 11, 2014