Skip to main content

An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

  1. Home
  2. Travel
  3. For International Visitors
  4. Visa Waiver Program
  5. Travel by Pleasure Boats or Ferries

Travel by Pleasure Boats or Ferries

Permanent residents of Canada who are nationals of a designated Visa Waiver Program country may enter the United States by means of a pleasure boat or ferry along the northern border of the United States, if in possession of a valid, unexpired, passport issued by his or her country of nationality, and an unexpired multiple entry Form I-94W, Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver Arrival/Departure Form, or an unexpired passport, valid unexpired United States nonimmigrant visa and I-94 Arrival/Departure Form.  Entry may be made only as a visitor for pleasure.  If crossing by ferry through a Class A port of entry the only requirement is to have a valid passport.  You will be required to complete and I-94W, unless you have a valid ESTA.  If crossing by ferry through a Class C port of entry the same document requirements apply as arriving by pleasure boat.

Last Modified: Oct 13, 2016