US flag Official website of the Department of Homeland Security

Form I-212: Application for Permission to Reapply for Admission Into the United States After Deportation or Removal

What is the Purpose of this Form?

Form I-212 is for a particular inadmissible immigrant and nonimmigrant population that is seeking permission to reapply for admission into the United States (also known as "consent to reapply") after they have been excluded, deported, or removed from the United States or had been unlawfully present in the United States for an aggregate period of more than 1 year, and subsequently entered or attempted to reenter the United States without being admitted.

Who Should File this Form?

There are three pertinent sections in the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) that address the above referenced nonimmigrant and his/her need to obtain consent to reapply in advance of applying for admission into the United States. The three noted sections are §212(a)(9)(A), §212(a)(9)(C) and §276. If any of the noted sections apply to you and you are not required to obtain a visa to enter the United States as a non-immigrant, you may file Form I-212 at a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP)-designated port of entry or a CBP-designated preclearance office. The Form I-212 and accompanying documents must be filed in advance of travel.

  • Nonimmigrant visitors who require consent to reapply and need a visa to enter the United States as a nonimmigrant should contact the nearest United States Embassy or Consulate.
  • Citizens of Palau, the Federated States of Micronesia, or the Marshall Islands may contact the nearest consulate of the U.S. Department of State to receive instructions on where and how to submit this form.
  • If you require consent to reapply and are inadmissible to the United States because of additional reasons (for example, having; a communicable disease, criminal record for crimes involving moral turpitude, or a violation of any controlled substance law), you may also have to file a Form I-192 in conjunction with a Form I-212. Both Forms I-212 and I-192 may be downloaded at the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Forms website.

Beginning Mid-2019 you will be able to file and pay for your Form I-212 application online using the Electronic Secured Adjudication Forms Environment (e-SAFE). Nonimmigrants who electronically filed via e-SAFE and completed biometrics at ports of entry will receive a confirmation email when the application is submitted to CBP. e-SAFE will allow you to check the status of your application, receive electronic communications, and receive electronic notification of a decision. Processing times will range from 60 to 90 days from the day the biometrics are completed.

What Must Be Submitted With the Application?

In addition to the required evidence stated on the revised Form I-212 Instructions, the following additional documentation should be submitted with the Form I-212:

  1. Evidence of Citizenship.
  2. Any supporting documentation.
  3. A properly executed Form G-28 must be included with the application if the alien has retained an authorized representative.
  4. Fingerprint card FD-258 or an electronically captured fingerprints that will be completed by a U.S. CBP Officer at the time of submission of your application.
  5. Form G-325A is not needed when filing the most recent version of the Form I-212.   However, the ARO will continue to accept older versions that still require a Form G-325A that is completed and signed by you.
  6. If you have a criminal record in any other country's court system, you must obtain a copy of the applicable record or an official letter from the court of jurisdiction stating the reason why a copy of the record is not available.
  7. Canadian citizens: To obtain verification of your Canadian criminal record or evidence of a lack thereof from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) by submitting your fingerprints on Form C216C. The returned Civil Product and any accompanying records must be dated and endorsed by the RCMP within 15 months of submission with your Form I-192. For instructions, addresses and payment information, please visit the RCMP website.  Do not submit the Form I-192 application until you have obtained the documents from the RCMP. Incomplete packages will not be processed.
  8. A  copy of the official court record from the actual court of conviction indicating plea indictment, conviction and disposition for each and every crime committed anywhere in the world.

Application Filing Fee

Bank drafts, cashier's checks, certified checks, personal checks and money orders must be drawn on U.S. financial institutions and payable in U.S. funds. The fee should be made payable to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP). CBP accepts credit cards at all CBP ports of entry that accept payment.  Accepted cards include Visa®, Mastercard®, American Express®, and Discover® Network. Updated application fee information can be found at U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website or by contacting the port of entry or preclearance office where you will be submitting your application.

Application Status Inquiries

Please allow at least 140 days from the date of submission of your Form I-212 before making an inquiry about the status of your application. A full review of your circumstances can take up to six months or longer. You may ask for an update by emailing  Attorneys or a properly designated representative may ask for an update by emailing .   Be sure to provide your full name, DOB, and your number.

Address Changes

Please note that CBP decisions and requests for evidence or additional information will be sent to the address you provide on your application. Failure to respond to a CBP request can result in an application being denied. Hence, if you change your address while a Form I-212 application is pending with CBP, you should inform CBP of your new address. You can accomplish this update by sending a letter with your biographic information and both your old and new addresses to U.S. Customs and Border Protection, Admissibility Review Office, 7799 Leesburg Pike, 6th Floor, Falls Church, VA 20598-1234. You can also email updated information to Attorneys and other accredited representatives can notify the ARO on behalf of their clients by regular mail or by e-mail via .

Last modified: 
July 19, 2021