Review Your Beneficiary Forms
Did you know employees can review the following beneficiary forms in their Electronic Official Personnel Folder (eOPF)?
- Federal Employees’ Group Life Insurance (FEGLI), SF-2823
- Designation of Unpaid Compensation for Deceased Civilian Employees, SF-1152
- Federal Employees’ Retirement System (FERS), SF-3102
To review your forms log into eOPF and follow these steps:
- Click on My eOPF.
- Click on My eOPF Search, select “Benefits” as the Type, check “Select All” Folder Sides, and click Search.
- If you have any beneficiary forms on file, they will appear in the search results. Click on the Form Number column header to sort the results by Form Number.
Employees should review and update their beneficiary information as needed. If you are unable to locate the forms in your eOPF and wish to designate a beneficiary, it is recommended that you submit new forms and ensure they appear in your eOPF once processed.
There are two ways to make changes to the forms listed above or file new forms:
Option 1 - Print, update, and mail the forms with original signatures to:
U.S. Customs and Border Protection
Retirement and Benefits Advisory Services
90 K Street N.E., 5th Floor - Mail Stop 1400
Washington, D.C. 20229
Option 2 - Once you have completed your forms, you can upload them to the Retirement and Benefits Portal by creating a new benefits case and selecting "Other Document." Indicate in the description box the forms that you have uploaded. If you have experienced a qualifying life event (QLE) and have other documents that you have completed, i.e., FEHB or FEGLI forms, please create a new case for each individual document.
Note: Beneficiary forms require wet signatures from you and two witnesses; however, you can upload them digitally once complete.
If there is no valid designation on file at the time of death, benefits are payable in the following order:
- First: to your widow or widower
- Second: if none, to your child or children in equal shares, with the share of any deceased child distributed among that child's descendants
- Third: if none, to your parents in equal shares or the entire amount to your surviving parent
- Fourth: if none, to the executor or administrator of your estate
- Fifth: if none, to your next of kin under the laws of the State where you lived at the time of your death.
When no beneficiary forms are on file, Human Resources Management must process in policy order and this could delay the pay out to your family, which may cause undue stress.
Be sure to read the specific instructions on each designation form before designating beneficiaries.
For questions regarding these forms, contact the Retirement and Benefits Advisory Services Branch (RABAS) at 202-325-6180 or 1-800-897-6180 or submit an inquiry through the Retirement and Benefits Portal.
The following two beneficiary forms require a different process to make changes:
|Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS) Designation of Beneficiary, SF-2808||Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) Designation of Beneficiary, TSP-3|
|Print, update and mail to: |
Office of Personnel Management
Retirement Operations Center
P.O. Box 45
Boyers, PA 16017-0045
|Print, update and mail to:|
P.O. Box 385021
Birmingham, AL 35238
This form can also be faxed to 1-866-817-5023.
|Contact OPM at 1-888-767-6738 with additional questions.||Contact TSP at 1-877-968-3778 and press 3 with additional questions.|
Note: TSP beneficiary information may be reviewed on www.tsp.gov. Log in to your TSP account, scroll down left navigation pane to Personal Information and select Beneficiaries. The Beneficiary information window will open and show date of designation.