14 to 30 Days
- Receive final paycheck and lump-sum annual leave payment (if applicable).
- United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) will close out your retirement record (SF 2806/SF 3100).
- Your retirement case and retirement card is forwarded to OPM in Boyers, PA.
- USDA will send you a notification that your case has been forwarded to OPM.
- For questions regarding the processing of your retirement, contact Retirement and Benefits Advisory Services (RABAS) visit the Retirement and Benefits Portal.
30 to 90 days
- Your retirement package is received by OPM in Boyers, PA.
- OPM will send you an acknowledgement letter and retirement case claim number.
- You will be placed in Interim Payment Status and paid a partial annuity.
- Case is assigned to a specialist for final adjudication.
- Interim payments will continue until OPM completes final adjudication of your claim.
90 Days to 6 Months
- OPM will complete the adjudication of your claim.
- OPM will start paying you your regular monthly annuity check, including applicable back pay.
- OPM will start deducting payment for both benefits and other allotments, from your regular annuity.
- OPM will provide you with the information outlining your retirement benefits, authorized allotments, taxes, etc.
- Call OPM if you have any questions about the status of your retirement.
Note: Over the last six months, CBP’s Office of Human Resources Management (HRM), Retirement and Benefits Advisory Services Branch (RABAS) became aware of substantial delays in retirement processing. After conducting a thorough review, HRM identified several major issues, including COVID-19–related slowdowns at the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s National Finance Center (NFC) and a new automated file-transfer process from NFC to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) that created significant backlogs.
As of May 3, 2021, all retirement applications received through April 30, 2021 have been submitted or are well underway at NFC.
CBP does not anticipate additional delays at this time. Typical processing should follow the steps below:
- RABAS submits retirement packages to NFC within one pay period after the retiree’s final timecard is officially processed;
- NFC verifies, validates, and prepares packages for submission to OPM within about 45 days; and,
- OPM provides interim pay within two weeks of receipt from NFC (more complex cases, such as those involving multiple beneficiaries, may take longer).
The CBP team is absolutely committed to paying retirees as swiftly and accurately as possible. If you have been retired for more than 90 days and have not received interim pay from OPM, please email email@example.com.