Did you know that all health insurance plans under the Federal Employees Health Benefits program cover flu vaccines at no cost to you? Find influenza shot or nasal spray flu vaccination locations in your area to take advantage of your preventive health care benefits. Employees enrolled in TRICARE can also get the flu vaccine at low or no cost.
Annual vaccination against seasonal flu is recommended for all people 6 months and older. Vaccination is the single best way to reduce your risk of catching the flu or experiencing complications. September and October are generally the best times to be vaccinated. It takes about two weeks for antibodies to develop and provide optimal protection. Flu season tends to peak in December with high risks of infection lasting through March.
You can still protect yourself and help stop the spread of germs with a few good health habits.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water or use an alcohol-based rub.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth.
- Clean and disinfect commonly used surfaces.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle (get plenty of sleep, be physically active, manage stress, drink plenty of fluids and eat a well-balanced diet).
Visit the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Influenza website for the latest information and frequently asked questions regarding the 2023-2024 flu season.