US flag Official website of the Department of Homeland Security

Archived Content

In an effort to keep current, the archive contains content from a previous administration or is otherwise outdated.

CBP at the Hidalgo International Bridge Arrests Local Man Wanted for Criminally Negligent Homicide

Release Date: 
May 18, 2015

HIDALGO, Texas—U.S. Customs and Border Protection, Office of Field Operations (OFO) at the Hidalgo International Bridge arrested a 35-year-old man from Mission, Texas who had an outstanding arrest warrant for criminally negligent homicide from the McMullen County Sheriff’s Office.

“CBP’s Office of Field Operations checks everyone seeking entry into the United States at designated land border crossings and at official air/sea ports of entry,” said Acting Port Director Javier Cantu, Hidalgo/Pharr/Anzalduas Port of Entry. “During the course of checking travelers’ identities, we often encounter individuals with outstanding arrest warrants, for myriad of violations including homicide or other serious crimes.”

On May 16, CBP officers assigned to the Hidalgo-Reynosa International Bridge encountered David Campos Garza, a legal permanent resident (LPR) attempting to enter the U.S. through the pedestrian lanes. An initial database check revealed a possible match to an arrest warrant therefore officers secured Garza and escorted him to secondary for further inspection. Utilizing biometric verification through CBP and law enforcement databases, officers confirmed Garza’s identity and also the active arrest warrant for three felony counts for criminally negligent homicide.

Mr. Garza is accused of having been the driver of tractor/trailer that allegedly veered away from his lane and struck a Chevy pickup on Highway 72 West, outside of Tilden, Texas on Feb 22, 2014, killing three adult males.

CBP OFO arrested Mr. Garza and then released him to the custody of the Hidalgo Police Department, who in turn transported him to the Hidalgo County Jail, where he will await extradition to McMullen County. Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) is investigating the case.

Last modified: 
February 9, 2017