US flag Official website of the Department of Homeland Security

Archived Content

In an effort to keep current, the archive contains content from a previous administration or is otherwise outdated.

CBP Announces 2014 Summer Hours for Wild Horse, Montana

Release Date: 
May 13, 2014

WILD HORSE, Mont. — U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Office of Field Operations (OFO) announces the summer hours at the port of Wild Horse, Montana, will begin on May 15 this year.  The port will operate 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. from May 15 to September 30, 2014.  The winter schedule of 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. will begin on October 1, 2014.

CBP also offers travelers tips to help expedite processing at Chief Mountain. 

  • Plan your trip to avoid peak travel times typically between the hours of 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. 
  • Have required proof of citizenship documents ready upon arrival at the primary inspection booth.  You may present a valid passport, a passport card, an enhanced driver’s license, a trusted traveler card (NEXUS, SENTRI, Global Entry or FAST/EXPRES), lawful permanent resident card, or U.S. and Canadian current tribal documents as your Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant document.
  • Travelling with minor children without both parents?  A notarized travel permission letter should accompany minors when both parents are not present.
  • Declare all of your purchases to the CBP officer, including fruits, vegetables, live animals, and meat products.  Keep your receipts as proof of where the items were purchased.  Failure to declare may result in penalties (fines) of $300 or more.
  • Most U.S. or Canadian grown fruits and vegetables may enter the U.S. from Canada, except citrus, tomatoes, peppers, and home-grown potatoes, which are prohibited.  Each vehicle may enter with up to 50 pounds of Canadian-origin beef, pork, or chicken (personal use only).  Meats, fruits, or vegetables purchased in the U.S. prior to entering Canada are not restricted (keep your receipt and leave the labels on).
  • Do not bring firewood.  All firewood is prohibited unless accompanied by a heat treatment certificate.  Travelers with prohibited firewood will be returned to Canada to dispose of firewood.  Don’t Move Firewood!  Buy It Where You Burn It!
  • Traveling with pets?  Dogs that are at least three months old need signed and dated certificates from a veterinarian verifying they have been vaccinated against rabies at least 30 days before entering the U.S.
  • Any weapons or ammunition must be declared when leaving or entering the United States.
  • You must also declare any currency in excess of $10,000 when leaving or entering the United States.
  • Never attempt to cross the border outside of the established hours of operation. 
  • For additional questions, or clarification on the information listed above on entering the U.S., please visit the CBP’s Know Before You Go Travel section. 
  • For information on entering Canada, please visit CBSA’s Travel Section or call 1-800-461-9999.
Last modified: 
April 7, 2021