Del Rio Border Sector Patrol Apprehensions Show Steady Increase in FY14
DEL RIO, Texas – U.S. Border Patrol apprehensions totaled 486,651 nationwide in Fiscal Year 2014, an increase this year largely due to the increase in unaccompanied children and family units who turned themselves in to Border Patrol agents in South Texas this summer. While Border Patrol apprehensions of Mexican nationals in FY 2014 remained largely unchanged from FY 2013, apprehensions of individuals from countries other than Mexico, predominately individuals from Central America, increased by 68 percent. Apprehensions by Del Rio Sector U.S. Border Patrol agents increased 3 percent according to numbers released recently by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
In FY14 Del Rio Sector agents apprehended a total of 24,255 illegal aliens, a 3 percent increase over FY13 totals. Of the 24,255 apprehended, 13,407 were prosecuted for illegal entry into the United States and 1,616 of illegal aliens had prior criminal history.
The Del Rio Border Patrol Sector is part of the South Texas Campaign, which leverages federal, state and local resources to combat transnational criminal organizations. During FY 2014, Del Rio Sector agents apprehended 32 previously deported sex offenders, two convicted murderers, and one escapee from the 2012 prison break of the Centro de Readaptacion Social (CERESO) Prison in Piedras Negras, Coahuila, Mexico.
“Our encounters with these dangerous individuals show the type of environment agents and law enforcement officers deal with on a daily basis,” said Rodolfo Karisch, Chief Patrol Agent, Del Rio Sector. “We rely on the invaluable training we receive to protect our communities and the nation.”
Of the illegal aliens apprehended in the Del Rio Sector, 37 percent were from countries other than Mexico. Also, 6,170 taken into custody were juveniles – a 137 percent increase over last year’s totals for Del Rio Sector.
“Of the juveniles apprehended, only 13 percent were among family units,” Chief Karisch noted. “The remaining 87 percent were unaccompanied by adults. Historically, this factor has made juveniles vulnerable to criminal organizations that would use minors to do their bidding.”
In order to keep pace with this trend, Del Rio Sector’s Prosecutions Unit has developed new protocols to deal with juveniles who have taken on roles traditionally held by adults among transnational criminal organizations.
Agents throughout the Del Rio Sector seized a total of 21,930 pounds of marijuana during FY14, worth an estimated $17,544,000.
“The increase in apprehensions and the decrease in narcotic seizures are an indication that our recent partnerships with other federal agencies, as well as state and local law enforcement, have had positive effects in securing the border,” said Chief Karisch. “These partnerships allow us to maximize our use of personnel, equipment and law enforcement infrastructure.”
U.S. Customs and Border Protection is the unified border agency within the Department of Homeland Security charged with the management, control and protection of our nation's borders at and between the official ports of entry. CBP is charged with keeping terrorists and terrorist weapons out of the country while enforcing hundreds of U.S. laws.