If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.
There is a non-refundable $25 (USD) fee to replace a NEXUS card that is damaged, lost or stolen.
Activating Your NEXUS Card
To activate your card, log into your GOES account. After you sign in, click on the “Activate Membership Card” button under the Program Membership(s) section on the Homepage.
Using Your NEXUS Card
- Use the designated NEXUS lane. Stop and hold your membership card in front of the proximity card reader.
- Proceed to the inspection booth for a visual inspection. The border officer will indicate whether you are to enter the inspection area or proceed into Canada.
Entering the United States
- Use the designated NEXUS lane. Stop and hold your membership card in front of the card reader.
- Proceed to the inspection booth for a visual inspection. Unless you are directed to an inspection area, you may proceed into the United States.
NEXUS members using the air mode of transportation can enter Canada using the self-serve kiosks regardless of where they are coming from. For example, a NEXUS member returning to Canada from overseas and arriving in Montréal can use the self-serve kiosk in Montréal.
Follow these instructions when using NEXUS Kiosk:
- Please have your NEXUS card ready;
- Select language of choice before inserting your NEXUS card into the document reader;
- When prompted, insert your NEXUS card into the document reader;
- Ensure the card is face up (picture side) and fully inserted into the reader;
- Leave the card in the reader until instructed to remove it;
- You will receive audio instructions advising you to look into the mirror;
- You will use the arrows located on the mirrors to adjust to ensure that you see both eyes;
- Look into the mirror, moving slightly forward or backward until you see the circle centered between your eyes change from orange to green; and
- Follow the instructions on the screen and answer the questions on the monitor.
Entering the United States
All NEXUS members can enjoy the benefits of Global Entry at no additional cost through using the Global Entry kiosks for entry at participating airports.
When using the Global Entry kiosks in Canada Preclearance locations you can use your passport, U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident card or NEXUS card. You cannot use your NEXUS card at Global Entry kiosks outside of Canadian Preclearance locations. At all other ports, you will need to use your passport or U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident card.
If you are traveling with persons into Canada or the United States that are not NEXUS members, you must use the regular lanes.