US flag Official website of the Department of Homeland Security

ACE Reconciliation Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I find information regarding Reconciliation Policy and Processing?

The latest updated information can be found in the ACE Business Rules document at 

Where can I find the ACE Reconciliation Prototype Guide?

The Reconciliation Prototype Guide can be found at:

Do all importers have to participate and is there an application process?

Reconciliation is a voluntary program.  There is no application process to participate; all importers are eligible if they have a valid continuous bond and a valid Reconciliation bond rider on file for each importer of record that wishes to participate

When an importer files a Reconciliation request, should the surety code be the same for all underlying entries?

Yes, the surety code for a Reconciliation entry should be the same as the one on all of the underlying entries. If the surety code and/or bond number are not the same, the filer will receive a "bond mismatch" error

Does the bond rider need to be valid when I file Reconciliation?

No, the Reconciliation bond rider has to be in valid status on the eligible entry types when flagged

Whom do I contact if I get a system error when flagging or filing for Reconciliation?

The Client Representatives are the first point of contact for the trade community when it relates to CBP system-related problems and any questions on transmitting data to CBP

Should filers consider the day that they received the "Recon accepted Error Free" message as the day that CBP received their Reconciliation entry?

Yes, the date that the filer receives the "Recon Accepted Error Free" message will constitute the date of receipt of the Reconciliation entry by CBP in the ACE environment

Is it possible in ACE to have one customs broker file an entry and another customs broker file the Reconciliation claim(s)?


Are filers able to file 9,999 underlying entries on one Reconciliation entry?

Yes, filers can file up to 9,999 underlying entries per Reconciliation entry

Can an entry summary be flagged for multiple Reconciliation issues in ACE?

Yes, entry summaries can be flagged for multiple Reconciliation issues in ACE

Is Reconciliation an option for non-ABI manual filers?

No, Reconciliation is not an option for Non-ABI manual filers. All entries that are flagged for Reconciliation and reconciled under a type "09" entry must be submitted via EDI transmission

Will Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Island Reconciliations have to be filed as a separate Reconciliation entry in ACE?

Yes, all Puerto Rico or Virgin Island Reconciliations will need to be filed on a separate Reconciliation entry and transmitted to the Port of Entry the flagged entries were filed at.

Where do I file my Reconciliation?

Reconciliation entry summaries may be transmitted to any port and they are processed by the Centers of Excellence and Expertise (Centers).

Where do I send my payment if money is owed to CBP upon filing?

Original payment may be made via check, ACH or statement. To expedite the collection process, CBP recommends that check payments for Reconciliation entry summaries be filed at the Port of Entry designated on the Reconciliation Entry Summary.  Payments made at another Port of Entry may slow down the collection process

If there is no change to report, do I have to file Reconciliation on the flagged entries?

If there is no change to any reportable data elements, then a no-change Reconciliation must be filed.  However, if it is a FTA Reconciliation (that is, a claim for certain eligible free trade agreements), then a Reconciliation entry is not required unless there is a claim for a refund.  Please refer to the "ACE Reconciliation Prototype: A Guide to Compliance" for specific information regarding FTA Reconciliations

If an underlying entry is flagged for both, FTA and Value, which do I file first?

CBP recommends that the FTA Reconciliation be filed before the other Reconciliation so the SPI can be established

Who should filers contact at CBP to add or remove a Reconciliation flag on an entry?

All requests to add, remove, and/or change Reconciliation flags are handled by the Centers

Does the Reconciliation Port or Center have the right to request hardcopy documentation for a Reconciliation claim?

While Reconciliation entries are completely electronic in ACE and there should not be a need to request paper in some cases, CBP reserves the right to request additional documentation in hardcopy form if needed to substantiate a Reconciliation claim.

Are filers able to submit an extension request to withhold liquidation for Reconciliation entries in ACE?

Yes, but requests to withhold liquidation must be submitted in writing to the Reconciliation Processing Port or Center of Excellence and Expertise to which the importer has been assigned

Last modified: 
Friday, September 20, 2019 - 16:57