Bahrain Free Trade Agreement (BHFTA)
Information for U.S. Exporters is available through the Department of Commerce at: http://www.export.gov/FTA/index.asp
The Bahrain Free Trade Agreement (BHFTA) went into effect on August 1, 2006. Under the agreement most Bahraini goods enter the United States free of duty and the merchandise processing fee (MPF) and virtually all will enter free by the time it is fully implemented by January 1, 2015.
To learn more about how to claim preference on these goods, select the following:
- Can My Good Benefit From a Free Trade Agreement?
- Bahrain FTA Summary
- Bahrain Free Trade Agreement Implementation Instructions
Bahrain Data Elements for the Certificate of Origin - Attachment A
The document is the certification used by Bahraini producers and exporters, and US importers, when attesting that their goods meet the requirements of the Bahrain FTA.
Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States (HTSUS) - Bahrain FTA General Notes 30
General notes, including the General Rules of Origin, Definitions, Value (including Regional Value Content and De Minimis), Sets, Packing and Packaging Materials, Indirect Materials, Recordkeeping and the all-important Product Specific Rules of Origin.
Effective January 1, 2015 goods of Bahrain are not subject to quota.
The reconciliation Prototype is an alternate method of submitting on-going, high-volume post-importation Bahrain FTA claims. Like standard 19 USC 1520(d) claims, they must be made within one-year of importation and all preference program requirements and responsibilities remain in effect.
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES AND REGULATIONS:
- U.S. Bahrain Free Trade Agreement FAQs
- Bahrain FTA Text
- Complete text of the agreement.
- Bahrain FTA Regulations
- A current link to the e-CFR website including: Import Requirements, Filing a Claim, Regional Value Content (RVC) Certification, Post-Importation Refunds, Rules of Origin, Origin Verifications, Transshipment, and Penalties.
- USITC Publication 3830
- This publication includes the modifications to the HTSUS, the Duty Phase-Out Schedule and other important information.
- Bahrain FTA Implementation Act
- Public Law No. 109-169, 119 Stat. 3581 and codified at 19 USC 3805 Note
- Presidential Proclamation 8039:
- Enacts the Bahrain FTA
- Published in the Federal Register on August 1, 2006.