US flag Official website of the Department of Homeland Security

Export Licenses

The U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is responsible for ensuring that all goods entering and exiting the United States do so in accordance with all applicable U.S. laws and regulations. Although CBP enforces these export regulations for various other government agencies, specific questions pertaining to commodity licensing requirements should be directed to that lead agency.

Agency information, telephone numbers, and basic commodities which may require export licenses can be obtained by viewing either the U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Industry and Security, Department of State, Directorate of Defense Trade Controls, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, Drug Enforcement Administration, Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Office of Foreign Assets Control or the Bureau of the Census websites. These sites include information from numerous other agencies with export control responsibilities.

All export information is required be filed through the Automated Export System (AES). The AES is an electronic method for filing information directly with the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and the Census Bureau. 

Further guidance regarding export licenses should be directed to the CBP port of export location used to export your goods.


Last modified: 
May 27, 2020