ACE Reconciliation Frequently Asked Questions

The latest updated information can be found in the ACE Business Rules document at 

The Reconciliation Prototype Guide can be found at:

Reconciliation is a voluntary program.  There is no application process to participate; all importers are eligible if they have a valid continuous bond and a valid Reconciliation bond rider on file for each importer of record that wishes to participate

Yes, the surety code for a Reconciliation entry should be the same as the one on all of the underlying entries. If the surety code and/or bond number are not the same, the filer will receive a "bond mismatch" error

No, the Reconciliation bond rider has to be in valid status on the eligible entry types when flagged

The ClientRepresentatives arethefirst pointof contactfor the trade community when it relates to CBP system-related problems and any questions on transmitting data to CBP

Yes, the date that the filer receives the "Recon Accepted Error Free" message will constitute the date of receipt of the Reconciliation entry by CBP in the ACE environment


Yes, filers can file up to 9,999 underlying entries per Reconciliation entry

Yes, entry summaries can be flagged for multiple Reconciliation issues in ACE

No, Reconciliation is not an option for Non-ABI manual filers. All entries that are flagged for Reconciliation and reconciled under a type "09" entry must be submitted via EDI transmission

Yes, all Puerto Rico or Virgin Island Reconciliations will need to be filed on a separate Reconciliation entry and transmitted to the Port of Entry the flagged entries were filed at.

Reconciliation entry summaries may be transmitted to any port and they are processed by the Centers of Excellence and Expertise (Centers).

Original payment may be made via check, ACH or statement. To expedite the collection process, CBP recommends that check payments for Reconciliation entry summaries be filed at the Port of Entry designated on the Reconciliation Entry Summary.  Payments made at another Port of Entry may slow down the collection process

If there is no change to any reportable data elements, then a no-change Reconciliation must be filed.  However, if it is a FTA Reconciliation (that is, a claim for certain eligible free trade agreements), then a Reconciliation entry is not required unless there is a claim for a refund.  Please refer to the "ACE Reconciliation Prototype: A Guide to Compliance" for specific information regarding FTA Reconciliations

CBP recommends that the FTA Reconciliation be filed before the other Reconciliation so the SPI can be established

All requests to add, remove, and/or change Reconciliation flags are handled by the Centers

While Reconciliation entries are completely electronic in ACE and there should not be a need to request paper in some cases, CBP reserves the right to request additional documentation in hardcopy form if needed to substantiate a Reconciliation claim.

Yes, but requests to withhold liquidation must be submitted in writing to the Reconciliation Processing Port or Center of Excellence and Expertise to which the importer has been assigned

Source URL: