An official website of the United States government
Here’s how you know
Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.
Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock (
LockA locked padlock
) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.
East Boston Immigration Station. 1922 view from Boston Harbor, before second story was added and the landing pier relocated.
Campaigning for women's suffrage in 1913. Women would not win the right to vote until the passage of the 19th Amendment on Aug. 18, 1920
1925 photograph of the East Boston Immigration Station, located at 287 Marginal Street. Officially opened on April 20, 1920; the station was closed down in 1954.
19th century stereoscopic view of Long Wharf in Boston Harbor. The large stone building last on the left is the Custom House Block, which still stands today. At the very end of the wharf, there is a single storey freight shed, similar to the sheds in the foreground. An immigrant station was constructed on top of this of this shed (see next photo) that would serve as the Boston immigrant station until 1920
Anna C. M. Tillinghast is sworn-in for her second four year term as district commissioner of immigration for the port of Boston in February 1931. Judge Harold Williams administers the oath. In 1933, Tillinghast was removed from office after two years into her second appointment because Democrat Franklin D. Roosevelt had been elected president.
Boston's Long Wharf immigrant station (second floor) & freight shed, circa 1904. The roofline of the Custom House Block is visible at the right end of the station.
Tillinghast, Anna C. M. Equal Suffrage. Beverly, Mass.: The Beverly Beacon - A Women's Newspaper; November 1, 1913; p. 11.
1934 aerial view of East Boston and Boston Harbor (with immigration station highlighted.) This view shows the second story of the station that was added after 1929 and the fenced rooftop recreation area for the use of the immigrants detained at the station, which was added sometime between 1925 and 1931.