RGV Students Honored as “Youth of the Year” Recipients and earn $30,000.00 in Scholarships
EDINBURG, Texas – U.S. Border Patrol agents from the Rio Grande Valley Sector Headquarters awarded this year’s Youth of the Year recipients during a virtual ceremony.
Earlier today, the Rio Grande Valley Sector Border Patrol, along with several key partners, presented 10 high school seniors with the prestigious Youth of the Year Scholarship. For the last nine years, the Rio Grande Valley Sector Border Patrol has proudly recognized outstanding high school seniors for their excellent academic achievements and significant community service. This year, the students were awarded with a $3,000.00 scholarship to assist them during their pursuit for a higher education.
Youth of the Year Recipients:
- Annett Puente, Grulla High School
- Allan Castellanos, Mission High School
- Sofia Hernandez, McAllen Memorial High School
- Claudia Quintana, Pharr San Juan Alamo Early College High School
- Juan Reyes, La Feria High School
- Natalie Treviño, Mercedes Early College Academy
- Zuriel Martes, Weslaco High School
- Hannah Edelstein, Veterans Memorial Early College High School
- Alexandra Montes, Los Fresnos High School
- April Juarez, Rio Hondo High School
This program’s continued success is attributed to great community partnerships with local businesses who support an investment in the youth today. A special thank you to our sponsors:
Head of the Class / Youth of the Year Sponsors:
- Region One
- Sweet & Tasty
- Rio Grande Valley Buick GMC Dealers
- River Rock Real Estate
- JBC General Contractors
- Shah Eye Center
U.S. Customs and Border Protection is the unified border agency within the Department of Homeland Security charged with the management, control and protection of our nation's borders at and between official ports of entry. CBP is charged with securing the borders of the United States while enforcing hundreds of laws and facilitating lawful trade and travel.