US flag Official website of the Department of Homeland Security

Archived Content

In an effort to keep current, the archive contains content from a previous administration or is otherwise outdated.

Know Before You Go: Purchasing Firearms and Parts of Firearms in the U.S.

Release Date: 
October 11, 2012

Pembina, N.D. - U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is reminding Canadian citizens about the requirements for exporting firearms and parts of firearms that were purchased in the United States. The exportation of firearms and parts of firearms from the U.S. is regulated by the Department of State and the Department of Commerce. CBP enforces the laws of those two agencies at the ports of entry/exit.

Canadian citizens planning to purchase ammunition, firearms, or parts of firearms or accessories such as scopes and other defense articles in the U.S. to export to Canada, must either obtain a license, in advance, from the Department of State, Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC) or qualify for a license exemption under 22 CFR 123.17 or 123.18. Telephone DDTC at (202) 663-1282 for more information, or visit their website.

The export of shotguns and buckshot is controlled under the U.S. Department of Commerce's Bureau of Industry and Security's Export Administration Regulations; an export license is generally needed to export shotguns and ammunition. Detailed information on obtaining a license to export shotguns or ammunition can be obtained by calling (202) 482-4811. Additional information may also be found on the Department of Commerce's website. When exporting National Firearms Act firearms, ATF Form 9 must be completed and approved by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF) prior to export. Contact (202) 648-7777 or visit their website for additional information.

Last modified: 
February 9, 2017