US flag Official website of the Department of Homeland Security

Archived Content

In an effort to keep current, the archive contains content from a previous administration or is otherwise outdated.

Detroit Sector Border Patrol Agents Assist in Rescues

Release Date: 
July 1, 2013

DETROIT—Detroit Sector Border Patrol agents assisted local law enforcement agencies with two separate rescue attempts this past weekend.

The first incident took place on Friday June 28, after the St. Clair County Sheriff Office (SCCSO) responded to a call for a 78-year-old man who had been reported missing after wandering off from his residence. After an initial unsuccessful search, the SCCSO and Kimball Twp. Fire Department requested Border Patrol assistance due to the dense woods and swampy terrain in the area where the man was last seen. At around 8:30 p.m. the Marysville station responded with agents, a K-9 team and a long-range thermal imaging sensor vehicle also known as a "Scope Truck." At approximately 12 a.m. on June 29, a Marysville Border Patrol agent located the man utilizing the thermal camera on the scope truck. The individual was treated by EMS and returned to his home.

"Rescue efforts such as these demonstrate the Border Patrol's commitment to partnership with local law enforcement and the safety of the local community as part of our daily operations" said Chief Patrol Agent Mario Martinez.

The next event occurred on Sunday, June 30, when Detroit Police Department (DPD) Dispatch reported that an 88-year-old man had fallen in the water at Erma Henderson Marina in Detroit. A Detroit station Border Patrol agent was patrolling with the Wayne County Sheriff's Office (WCSO) and responded to the scene, along with Detroit Station Marine Unit. The WCSO located the individual in the water using diving gear while Border Patrol agents from the Detroit Station where able to pull the victim out of the water. Once out of the water two highly trained Border Patrol agents performed CPR on the individual, who had been underwater for nearly 10 minutes, until EMS arrived. The subject was transported to a local hospital but did not survive.

Last modified: 
February 3, 2021