CBP Reminds Travelers to Prepare for Busy Labor Day Weekend
ST. ALBANS, Vt. — With Labor Day being observed in both the United States and Canada as a federal holiday since the late 1880s, U.S. Customs and Border Protection is reminding travelers planning cross-border trips to make sure they have their approved Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative compliant documents and to anticipate periods of heavy traffic at border crossings from Aug. 29 through Sept. 1.
CBP is also providing guidance to assist cross-border travelers who intend to travel during this time. These tips designed to ease their cross-border process as CBP officers and agriculture specialists maintain their principal anti-terrorism mission.
In addition to the few simple tips, frequent cross-border travelers are encouraged to participate in one of the Trusted Traveler Programs (NEXUS, FAST, SENTRI and Global Entry) which provides expedited clearance for pre-approved low-risk international travelers. Members of these programs can expect expedited processing when entering the United States through dedicated vehicle lanes at land borders or by using automated kiosks at airports. Members are also eligible to expedite their domestic travels by using TSA’s pre-check trusted traveler security screening lines. Travelers interested in enrolling in one of CBP’s Trusted Traveler Programs can learn more about the programs and apply online using the CBP Global Online Enrollment System.
- Travelers should prepare for the inspection process before arriving at the inspection booth. Please have crossing documents available for the inspection including a WHTI approved document for U.S. citizens and nonimmigrant aliens from Canada, Bermuda, and Mexico entering the United States by air, land or sea ports of entry.
- Vehicle occupants should not use cell phones while approaching the port or during the inspection process. Cell phone usage slows down the inspection process and causes delays for everyone in line.
- Travelers should build extra time into their trips in the event they cross during periods of exceptionally heavy traffic.
- Alternate Routes. During periods of heavy travel, border crossers may wish to consider alternative entry routes. For example, they may want to use the nearby and less heavily traveled Norton instead of the Derby Line port. For more information on border crossing times, which are updated hourly, please visit the CBP Advisories and Wait Times section of the website.
- Food items. Prepared foods for personal consumption or for family/friend gatherings is allowed. If bringing food items for resale or for commercial use, please refer to the FDA website or contact your local CBP office for more information. However, if you plan to cross the border with fresh meats, fruits, and vegetables and you are not sure if they are allowed into the United States, please check with your local CBP office before arrival.
The border travel tips will be of assistance in averting any potential frustrations when crossing the border during your travels. If you have questions, you may also contact Daniel Mattina, Port Director, Derby Line at (802) 873-3316 or Ronald Stanley, Port Director, Highgate Springs at (802) 868-2778.
For more information on traveling to or from the U.S. or locating a CBP office, please visit the Locate a Port of Entry section on the CBP website.
Hours of Operation
|Highgate Springs||480 Welcome Center Road Swanton, VT 05488||24X7|
|Highgate Springs||NEXUS Lane||6:00AM - 12:00PM, Monday - Friday|
|6:30AM - 8:30AM, Saturday - Sunday|
|2:00PM - 7:00PM, Friday - Sunday|
|Burlington Airport||228 Aviation Ave Suite 100 South Burlington, VT 05403||8:00AM - 8:00PM, Seven Days Week|
|Alburgh||200 Line Road Alburgh, VT 05440||24X7|
|Alburgh Springs||303 Alburgh Springs Road Alburgh Springs, VT 05440||8:00AM - 12:00AM, Seven Days Week|
|Morses Line||4475 Morses Line Road Franklin, VT 05457||8:00AM - 12:00AM, Seven Days Week|
|Richford||705 Province Street Richford, VT 05476||24X7|
|East Richford||Route 105A 357 Glen Sutton Road Richford, VT 05476||24X7|
|Pinnacle||14 Pinnacle Road Richford, VT 05476||24X7|
|West Berkshire||7823 West Berkshire Enosburgh Falls, VT 05450||24X7|
|Derby Line (I-91)||107 Interstate 91 South Derby Line, VT 05830||24X7|
|Derby Line (Rte. 5)||Route 5 Derby Line, VT 05830||24X7|
|North Troy||743 VT Route 243 North Troy, VT 05859||24X7|
|Beebe Plain||3161 Beebe Road Beebe, VT 05823||24X7|
|Norton||115 Route 147 North Norton, VT 05907||
|Canaan||387 VT Route 141 Canaan, VT 05905||24X7|
|Beecher Falls||1429 VT Route 253 Beecher Falls, VT 05902||24X7|
|Pittsburg||6293 North Main Street Pittsburg, NH 03592||24X7|
U.S. Customs and Border Protection is the unified border agency within the Department of Homeland Security charged with the management, control and protection of our nation's borders at and between the official ports of entry. CBP is charged with keeping terrorists and terrorist weapons out of the country while enforcing hundreds of U.S. laws.