US flag Official website of the Department of Homeland Security

Archived Content

In an effort to keep current, the archive contains content from a previous administration or is otherwise outdated.

CBP Reminds 'Black Friday' Cross-Border Travelers of Required Documents

Release Date: 
November 20, 2012

Great Falls, Mont. - U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is reminding travelers planning trips across the border into Idaho or Montana to anticipate holiday traffic during the observance of Thanksgiving and Black Friday. Black Friday is one of the busiest shopping days of the year and falls the day after Thanksgiving in the U.S. Many businesses are planning to open their doors at midnight the morning of Nov. 23.

All travelers, including U.S. and Canadian citizens, are reminded that the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) was implemented on June 1, 2009 requiring persons age 16 and older to present a valid, acceptable document that denotes both identity and citizenship when entering the U.S. by land or sea. WHTI compliant documents include a passport, U. S. passport card, enhanced driver's licenses (EDLs), or a Trusted Traveler Program card (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI and FAST).

As winter approaches, travelers are encouraged to check weather and road conditions prior to travel. For current road conditions in Idaho and Montana, please visit the Montana and Idaho DOT Web sites.

Remember to declare all fruits, vegetables, plants, meats, processed animal products (such as dried soup mixes and pet food), pets or wood products (such as firewood) to CBP officers and agriculture specialists at ports of entry. Failure to declare agriculture products or food items may result in the issuance of a fine of up to $1,000.

Do not attempt to bring fruits, meats and dairy/poultry products into the United States from Canada without first checking whether they are permitted. Review the "Know Before You Go" tip sheet at for additional information concerning your trip into the United States.

U.S. sporting goods stores often advertise holiday specials for the purchase of ammunition, firearms, scopes, and other accessories. If you are a Canadian citizen or resident of Canada, and are planning to purchase hunting supplies while in the U.S., CBP offers the following guidance: A license must be obtained, in advance, from the Department of State, Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC), unless the exporter qualifies for a license exemption under 22 CFR 123.17 or 123.18. Contact DDTC at (202) 663-1282 for more information or visit their Website.

The export of shotguns and buckshot is controlled under the U.S. Department of Commerce's Bureau of Industry and Security's Export Administration Regulations. An export license is generally required to export shotguns and ammunition. Detailed information on obtaining a license to export shotguns or ammunition can be obtained by calling (202) 482-4811. Additional information may also be found on the Department of Commerce's Website. When exporting National Firearms Act firearms, ATF Form 9 must be completed and approved by the Bureau ow Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF) prior to export. Contact (202) 648-7777 or for more information.

Last modified: 
February 9, 2017