US flag Official website of the Department of Homeland Security

Archived Content

In an effort to keep current, the archive contains content from a previous administration or is otherwise outdated.

CBP Issues Holiday Travel Advisory in Detroit: There's Still Time to Get Documents

Release Date: 
December 7, 2009

Detroit - U.S. Customs and Border Protection reminds travelers planning trips across the border to Canada to make sure they have proper documents for their return trip and to anticipate possible heavy traffic during the observance of the Christmas and New Year holidays. Travelers are reminded that they should apply for the document of their choice soon to allow enough processing time, in order to use them during the holiday period.

"CBP will staff all available booths in accordance with the traffic flow," said Sidney Aki, assistant director for Border Security. "Travelers who are prepared for their border crossing help us keep the traffic moving while maintaining a high level of security at the border."

Passports and Passport Cards are obtained from the Department of State and take three to six weeks to obtain. CBP Trusted Traveler Program card, NEXUS/FAST/SENTRI, can be applied for online utilizing the Global Entry Enrollment System on the CBP Web site and also take three to six weeks to obtain. An enhanced drivers license is available to residents of both the state of Michigan and the Province of Ontario with turnaround time for the Michigan enhanced drivers license at a little over two weeks.

"More than 100,000 of our state's residents have opted for the convenience of enhanced driver's licenses," said Michigan Secretary of State Terri Lynn Land. "I encourage anyone who will be traveling to Canada to visit the nearest Secretary of State branch office with proper documentation and apply for an EDL. There is still time to obtain one before the holidays."

Travelers can take a few simple steps to help keep traffic moving across the border.

  1. Plan your trip and allow extra time for crossing the border. Check the CBP Web site to monitor border wait times and review the "Know Before You Go" tip sheet.
  2. Avoid peak travel times when at all possible.
  3. Be prepared to show proof of citizenship and identity to enter the United States. This can include a passport, trusted traveler program card, or an enhanced driver's license. Travelers 18 and under can present just a birth certificate.
  4. Be advised that if you are crossing at a port of entry that has a NEXUS lane, everyone in the vehicle must have their NEXUS card in their possession, in order to use the lane.
  5. Be sure to declare all agriculture products, including firewood and kindling, which are subject to additional inspection by CBP agriculture specialists. Failure to declare agriculture products, including firewood and kindling, may result in delays and civil penalties.

Travelers can obtain local border traffic conditions by visiting the CBP Travel page or the Canada Border Services Agency Web site.

Last modified: 
February 9, 2017