US flag Official website of the Department of Homeland Security

Archived Content

In an effort to keep current, the archive contains content from a previous administration or is otherwise outdated.

CBP announces Port of Chief Mountain opening

Release Date: 
May 12, 2016

CHIEF MOUNTAIN, Mont. – U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Office of Field Operations (OFO) is pleased to announce that the Port of Chief Mountain, Montana, re-opens for the season on at 9 a.m. on May 15.

Hours of Operation (Mountain Daylight Time):

May 15 - 31: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
June 1 - Sept. 1: 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Sept. 2 - 30: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Customs and Border Protection announced the opening of the Port of Chief Mountain, Montana, for the summer.

Customs and Border Protection announced the opening of the Port of Chief Mountain, Montana, for the summer.

Chief Mountain is located on Highway 17 in Glacier County, Montana, and is a convenient route connecting travelers to Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park in Alberta from Glacier National Park in Montana.

Recent changes to the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) were implemented on April 1.  As part of the Visa Waiver Program Improvement and Terrorist Prevention Act of 2015, VWP travelers entering the United States must have an e-Passport.  Travelers from VWP countries are still eligible to travel to the United States without an e-Passport if they have a valid nonimmigrant visa. Travelers can apply for a nonimmigrant visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

An e-Passport is an enhanced secure passport with an embedded electronic chip.  E-passports are issued by the proper passport authority and must meet international standards for securing and storing information corresponding to the passport and the passport bearer.  Additional information about VWP, ESTA, and e-Passports may be found in the Travel section on the website and at the State Department website.

CBP also offers travelers tips to help expedite processing at Chief Mountain. 

  • Plan your trip to avoid peak travel times typically between the hours of 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
  • Avoid processing delays by traveling with the required documents:
    • Citizens of the United States or Canada should have required proof of citizenship documents ready upon arrival at the primary inspection booth.  You may present a valid passport, a passport card, an enhanced driver’s license, a trusted traveler card (NEXUS, SENTRI, Global Entry or FAST/EXPRES), lawful permanent resident card, or U.S. and Canadian current tribal documents as your Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative compliant document.
    • Citizens of VWP countries require an e-Passport or a passport and nonimmigrant visa.
    • Citizens of non-VWP countries require a passport and nonimmigrant visa
  • Travelling with minor children without both parents?  A notarized travel permission letter should accompany minors when both parents are not present.
  • Declare all of your purchases, merchandise acquired, and gifts received to the CBP officer, including fruits, vegetables, live animals, and meat products.  Keep your receipts as proof of where the items were purchased.  Failure to declare may result in penalties (fines) of $300 or more.
  • Most U.S. or Canadian grown fruits and vegetables may enter the U.S. from Canada, except citrus, tomatoes, peppers, and home-grown potatoes, which are prohibited.  Each vehicle may enter with up to 50 pounds of Canadian-origin beef, pork, or chicken for personal use only.  Meats, fruits, or vegetables purchased in the U.S. prior to entering Canada are not restricted (keep your receipt and leave the labels on).
  • Do not bring firewood.  All firewood is prohibited unless accompanied by a heat treatment certificate.  Travelers with prohibited firewood will be returned to Canada to dispose of firewood.  Don’t Move Firewood!  Buy It Where You Burn It!
  • Travelling with pets?  Dogs that are at least three months old need signed and dated certificates from a veterinarian verifying they have been vaccinated against rabies at least 30 days before entering the U.S.
  • Any weapons or ammunition must be declared when leaving or entering the United States.
  • You must also declare any currency in excess of $10,000 when leaving or entering the United States.
  • Never attempt to cross the border outside of the established hours of operation. 
  • For additional questions, or clarification on the information listed above on entering the U.S., please visit the Know Before You Go page in the Travel section at

For information on entering Canada, please visit or call 1-800-461-9999.

Last modified: 
February 3, 2021