U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

  1. Home
  2. Newsroom
  3. Local Media Release
  4. CBP Announces Opening of the Port of Chief Mountain

CBP Announces Opening of the Port of Chief Mountain

Release Date

Chief Mountain, Mont. - U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is pleased to announce that the Port of Chief Mountain, Montana re-opens for the season on Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 9:00 a.m.

Chief Mountain is located on Highway 17 in Glacier County, Montana and is a convenient route connecting travelers to Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park in Alberta from Glacier National Park in Montana.

CBP also offers travelers tips to help expedite processing at Chief Mountain.

  • Plan your trip to avoid peak travel times typically between the hours of 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
  • Have required proof of citizenship documents ready upon arrival at the primary inspection booth. You may present a valid passport, a passport card, an enhanced driver's license, a trusted traveler card, lawful permanent resident card, or Native American U.S. and Canadian citizen current tribal documents as your Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant document.
  • Travelling with minor children without both parents? A notarized travel permission letter should accompany minors when both parents are not present.
  • Declare all purchases to the CBP officer, including fruits, vegetables, live animals, and meat products. Keep your receipts as proof of where items were purchased. Failure to declare may result in penalties (fines) of $300 or more.
  • Most U.S. or Canadian grown fruits and vegetables may enter the U.S. from Canada, except citrus, tomatoes, peppers, and home-grown potatoes, which are prohibited. Each vehicle may enter with up to 50 pounds of Canadian-origin beef, pork, or chicken (personal use only). Meats, fruits, or vegetables purchased in the U.S. prior to entering Canada are not restricted (leave the labels on).
  • Do not bring firewood. All firewood is prohibited unless accompanied by a heat treatment certificate. Travelers with prohibited firewood will be returned to Canada to dispose of firewood. Don't Move Firewood! Buy It Where You Burn It!
  • Travelling with pets? Dogs that are at least three months old need signed and dated certificates from a veterinarian verifying they have been vaccinated against rabies at least 30 days before entering the U.S.
  • Any weapons or ammunition must be declared when leaving or entering the United States.
  • You must also declare any currency in excess of $10,000 when leaving or entering the United States.
  • Never attempt to cross the border outside of the established hours of operation.
  • For additional questions, or clarification on the information listed above on entering the U.S., please visit the Know Before You Go page in the Travel section on the CBP webite. (CBP)
  • For information on entering Canada, please visit the Canada Border Services Agency website or call (800) 461-9999. (CBSA)

Hours of Operation (Mountain Daylight Time):
May 15 - May 31: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
June 1 - September 5: 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
September 6 - September 30: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

  • Last Modified: February 3, 2021