An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

  1. Home
  2. Newsroom
  3. Local Media Release
  4. CBP Advises Travelers to ‘Know Before You Go’ During Memorial Day Holiday Weekend

CBP Advises Travelers to ‘Know Before You Go’ During Memorial Day Holiday Weekend

Release Date
Thu, 05/26/2022

DETROIT - U.S. Customs and Border Protection, Office of Field Operations reminds travelers planning trips across the Detroit, Port Huron and Sault Ste. Marie border crossings to have all required documents and to anticipate possible delays during the Memorial Day weekend.

Vacationers arrive at Ambassador Bridge
Vacationers arrive at Ambassador Bridge

Travelers should familiarize themselves with the “Know Before You Go” section of the CBP website to learn more about required documents, border wait times, expediting the arrival and inspection process, and what they can do to avoid fines and penalties associated with the importation of prohibited items.  

Non-U.S. individuals traveling to the United States via land ports of entry, whether for essential or non-essential reasons, must: 

  • Verbally attest to their COVID-19 vaccination status;
  • Provide, upon request, proof of a CDC-approved COVID-19 vaccination, as outlined on the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Fact Sheet;
  • Be prepared to present any other relevant documents requested by a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer during a border inspection

All travelers, including U.S. and Canadian citizens, must present an approved travel document to enter the U.S. by land and sea. Air travelers must have a valid passport, while those traveling by land or sea may use a variety of documents to include a passport, passport card, NEXUS card, enhanced driver license or ID card, or approved tribal documents. United States lawful permanent residents are reminded that their I-551 form is acceptable for land and sea travel into the U.S., and children under the age of 16 may present an original or certified copy of their birth certificate.

Non-U.S. travelers (non-U.S. citizens who are neither U.S. nationals nor lawful permanent residents) are encouraged apply for their I-94 online or via the CBP One app, available on both the Apple App store and Google Play. The I-94 feature allows travelers to apply for a provisional I-94 prior to arriving at a land border crossing. Travelers who apply for their I-94 ahead of time will experience faster processing times to expedite entry. Travelers can also quickly access their current I-94 submission to view critical information such as, how long they can remain in the U.S., and use it for proof of visitor status once in the United States.

Please visit for more information.

Last Modified: May 26, 2022