Before You Report
Here you will find information and links necessary for us to process your appointment, for you to receive your first paycheck, and for you to finalize legal documents for Federal employment with CBP.
- Before you report, complete the forms below and mail or fax to:
Human Resources Management
U.S. Customs and Border Protection
Indianapolis Hiring Center
6650 Telecom Drive, Suite 100
Indianapolis, IN 46278
Fax: (317) 713-7204
- Bring your Social Security card and another form of identification as indicated on Page 3 of the I-9 form, below.
Complete ALL forms as instructed: For example, click on Employment Eligibility Verification, I-9 Form. Complete Section 1. Print. Then, on your first day of work, bring your Social Security card and another form of identification as listed on Page 3 of the Form. Some forms may require you to print first and then complete.
- Employee Address, AD-349
- Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate, W-4
- Appointment Affidavit, SF-61 (leave blank)
- Self-Identification of Reportable Handicap, SF-256
- Declaration of Federal Employment, OF-306
- Race and National Origin Identification, SF-181
- State Tax Withholding Certificate (as needed). After selecting your State and retrieving information, then search for "Employee (State Name) Withholding Exemption Certificate." Fill it out, print it and bring it with you the day you report.
Complete the Designation of Beneficiary documents below, to direct payments for your life insurance, unpaid compensation, retirement contributions, and Thrift Savings Plan contributions. This is only necessary if you are not satisfied with the normal order of precedence. Payments will normally be made in the following order:
- To your widow or widower
- To your children, in equal shares
- To your parents
- To your estate
- To your next of kin
- SF-1152, Designation of Beneficiary (Unpaid Compensation)(SF-1152)
- SF-3102, Designation of Beneficiary for Federal Employees Retirement System
- SF-2808, Designation of Beneficiary for Civil Service Retirement System (may not be applicable)
- SF-2823, Designation of Beneficiary for Federal Employees Group Life Insurance
- TSP-3, Designation of Beneficiary for Thrift Savings Plan
It is your responsibility to keep the forms up to date. This is especially important after any significant life event, such as marriage, divorce, death, etc.
You may be contacted in the future to complete one of the following security clearance forms:
- SF-85, Questionnaire for Nonsensitive Positions;
- SF85P, Questionnaire for Public Trust Positions; or
- SF-86, Questionnaire for National Security Positions.