Special Agents Mutual Benefit Association (SAMBA) will offer an open enrollment period for the Employee Benevolent Fund (EBF) for CBP from June 1 – June 30, 2023.
The EBF provides an immediate lump-sum death benefit payment to the beneficiaries of a participating CBP employee. The benefit is usually paid within 24 to 48 hours after notification of the employee’s death.
Beneficiaries can use this benefit to help with expenses while other benefits—that often take much longer to pay out—are being finalized. For example, after notification of an employee's death:
- Federal Employees’ Group Life Insurance is typically paid within 4 to 6 weeks.
- Unpaid CBP compensation is typically paid within 4 to 6 weeks.
- Federal Employees Retirement System is typically paid within 6 to 8 weeks.
- Thrift Saving Plan is typically paid within 3 to 6 months.
Enrollment for CBP employees begins on June 1 and must be completed by June 30 to be effective on July 1, 2023. No extensions or exceptions to this timeline can be granted.
All permanent CBP employees who are currently in an active pay status (i.e., not on official leave, active military duty, or leave without pay status) are eligible for this special open enrollment period. This includes current EBF members, new hires, and all other employees who have not previously enrolled.
- $39 per year for a death benefit payment of $17,500, OR
- $78 per year for a death benefit payment of $35,000
Note: The annual premium will be prorated for mid-year enrollments. For July 1 through December 31, 2023, the prorated premiums are:
- $19.66 for a death benefit payment of $17,500, OR
- $39.32 for a death benefit payment of $35,000
For New Enrollees or Those Who Previously Enrolled and Want To Increase Coverage
- Visit the Employee Benevolent Fund page.
- Click on the Participating Federal Agencies button.
- Select CBP from the participating agency dropdown list.
- Follow the prompts to log in/register and enroll for the desired coverage amount.
Note: The payroll allotment option is NOT available for new enrollments or changes to prior online enrollments. Payment is required at the time of enrollment. Payments can be made from your bank account or using a credit or debit card.
For Those Already Enrolled in EBF Who Pay Their Premium Through Payroll Allotment and Want To Increase Coverage
Fill out ‘Employee Benevolent Fund Enrollment Form’ and ‘Allotment Form 299’ to increase payroll deduction. These forms are available on SAMBA’s website after login. Send completed forms to SAMBA via one of the following methods:
- Fax: 301-816-0191
- Mail: SAMBA, 11301 Old Georgetown Road, Rockville, MD 20852-2800
- Secure Email
Note: SAMBA must receive the completed forms by June 30, 2023.