Free COVID-19 Health Care Products and Services
On January 14, 2022, the Biden Administration announced it is purchasing “One Billion Tests to Give to Americans for Free.” Every home in the U.S. may order four (4) free at-home over the counter (OTC) COVID-19 tests. The tests will be completely free – there are no shipping costs and you don’t need to enter a credit card number.
Visit www.covidtests.gov to order your free COVID-19 OTC tests today.
Federal Employee Health Benefits (FEHB) carriers (plans) must provide coverage for countermeasures against COVID-19 to include OTC tests, vaccines, and therapeutics. Starting January 15, 2022, FEHB enrollees can purchase at-home OTC COVID-19 diagnostics tests at no cost, either through reimbursement or free of charge through their insurance.
Under the new guidelines for OTC COVID-19 tests, FEHB enrollees can expect at a minimum:
- Coverage for 8 tests per month of each individual on the plan
- No limit on the number of tests, to include at-home tests, if ordered or administered by a health care provider
- Reimbursement of up to $12 per individual test for tests purchased out of network
- COVID-19 OTC test benefits cannot have cost-sharing, prior authorization, or medical management requirements
- Clear guidance on how to obtain tests and submit reimbursement claims through insurance carriers
FEHB enrollees should consult their health care plans for carrier-specific instructions and incentives. Visit How to Get Your At-Home OTC COVID-19 Test for Free for more information and frequently asked questions.
FEHB Carrier Incentives
The federal government provides COVID-19 vaccines free of charge to everyone 5 years and older living in the United StatesFEHB carriers. Not only is the vaccine free, FEHB enrollees may be eligible to receive a financial beneift for getting vaccinated. Currently, more than 85% of individuals enrolled in FEHB can access incentives for receiving a COVID-19 vaccination. In some cases, the incentives are retroactive.
Health Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAFEDS)
Employees enrolled in a Health Care Flexible Spending Account , such as FSAFEDS, can use funds to pay for health care products and services related to COVID. Current guidelines allow reimbursement for items such as:
- COVID testing
- COVID OTC tests
- Hand sanitizer
- Hand sanitizing wipes for the prevention of COVID-19 with 60% + alcohol base
Visit FSAFEDS to view the full list of eligible expenses, along with reimbursement requirements.