SAMBA Open Enrollment
The Special Agents Mutual Benefit Association (SAMBA) will offer an open enrollment period for the Employee Benevolent Fund (EBF) for U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) during the month of July 2021. The SAMBA EBF provides an immediate lump-sum death benefit payment to the beneficiaries of a participating CBP employee. The benefit is usually paid within 24 to 48 hours after notification of the employee’s death.
Beneficiaries can use this benefit to help with expenses while other benefits—that often take much longer to pay out—are being finalized. For example, after notification of an employee’s death:
- Federal Employees' Group Life Insurance is typically paid within 4 to 6 weeks;
- Unpaid CBP compensation is typically paid within 4 to 6 weeks;
- Federal Employees Retirement System is typically paid within 6 to 8 weeks; and
- Thrift Saving Plan is typically paid within 3 to 6 months.
Eligibility for the July 2021 open enrollment period applies to all permanent CBP employees who are currently in an active pay status (i.e., not on official leave, active military duty, or leave without pay status). Enrollment begins on July 1 and must be completed by July 31 to be effective on August 1, 2021. No extensions or exceptions to this timeline can be granted.
Enrollments must be made online (beginning July 1, 2021) through SAMBA’s website. To make an election:
- Go to Employee Benevolent Fund.
- Click on the Participating Federal Agencies button.
- Select CBP from the participating agency dropdown list.
- Follow the prompts to register on the SAMBA website and enroll for coverage.
Employees will pay an annual premium depending on the amount of coverage they elect. There are two coverage options:
- $39 per year for a death benefit payment of $17,500; or,
- $78 per year for a death benefit payment of $35,000.
NOTE: Annual premiums will be prorated for 2021, as new enrollments elected during this open enrollment period will not be made effective until August 1, 2021. For coverage from August 1 through December 31, 2021, the prorated premiums will be approximately:
- $16.34 for a death benefit payment of $17,500; or,
- $32.67 for a death benefit payment of $35,000.