CBP is proud to be an authorized organization with the Department of Defense SkillBridge Program and ranked a Best Employer for Veterans by Monster.com. Our SkillBridge Program affords transitioning, eligible, and qualified service-members the ability to participate in non-law enforcement internships nationally during their last 180 days of active-duty service to our great country.
Contact our Veterans Employment Program (VEP) to learn how you can gain valuable training and work experience with CBP.
To participate in a DoD SkillBridge internship, service members must meet the following requirements:
- Be within 12 months from their separation date (not 6, 9, or 18 months, but 12)
- Available to intern in either the location of their choice or any of the current placement opportunities during their eligibility period (typically last 180 days of active duty service)
- Be approved by their command for participation in the internship program
- Complete a background investigation during the application and placement process
Service members may contact CBP VEP prior to their 12-month separation date but are not considered eligible to participate until 12 months prior to separation.
Internship Application and Placement Process
How to Apply
Service members interested in a SkillBridge internship must first join the CBP Talent Network as part of the application process.
After submitting a talent network form, contact CBP VEP at email@example.com. VEP works with individual service members throughout the application process from discussing career goals and skill sets to identifying internship opportunities and locations. Service members who meet eligibility requirements are then provided position descriptions and prerequisites to review and consider.
SkillBridge applicants will be asked to provide the following information to VEP to begin the placement process:
- Current Resume
- Official Command Approval for SkillBridge participation
- SkillBridge internship eligibility dates
- List of SkillBridge opportunities and locations of interest (applicants must meet position qualifications for consideration)
A Background Investigation (BI) is required for CBP positions. Service members with a current DoD/BI may qualify for reciprocity based upon its scope and the internship position requirements. Otherwise, a full CBP/BI must be completed prior to an applicant beginning their SkillBridge internship. The CBP/BI process for SkillBridge participants is fast-tracked to allow rapid placement.
VEP coordinates with CBP hiring managers, providing applicant's resume and areas of interest for consideration. Applicants may be interviewed as part of the selection process. The entire process, to a background investigation if necessary, is typically completed within the 6-month time frame prior to a service member's last 180 days of active duty.
Current Placement Opportunities
CBP may have additional opportunities beyond those listed below. Service members interested in a SkillBridge internship position or location should contact VEP at firstname.lastname@example.org.
National Capital Region*
- Administrative Liaison Officer (3)
- Communications Specialist (2)
- Executive Assistant (2)
- Intelligence Research Specialist (5)
- Investigative Program Specialist (3)
- Management Analyst (5)
- Medical Planner (3)
- Physical Scientist – CBRNE (4)
- Program Analyst (4)
- Public Information Specialist (2)
- Security Specialist (4)
- Senior Watch Officer (2)
- Strategic Planner (4)
- Visual Information Specialist (2)
- Writer Editor (1)
*The National Capital Region consists of Washington, D.C.; Montgomery and Prince George counties in Maryland and Arlington, Fairfax, Loudon and Prince William counties in Virginia.
- Auto Mechanic (11) - Yuma
- Employee Wellness Counselor (1)- Yuma
- Fire Range Safety Personnel (2)- Yuma
- Law Enforcement Information Specialist (6)- Yuma
- Mission Support Specialist - Yuma
- Human Resources & Finance (2)
- Human Resources/Policy & Compliance (3)
- Logistics/Warehouse (3)
- Fleet (2)
- CBP Technician (3) - Calexico
- CBP Technician (5) - Otay Mesa & San Ysidro
- Facilities Operations Specialist (1) - San Ysidro
- Intelligence Research Specialist& (1) - San Ysidro
- Mission Support Specialist - Los Angeles
- Paralegal Specialist (1) - Otay Mesa
- Mission Support Workforce Liaison/Human Resources (2) - Chicago
- CBP Technicians (6) - Kansas City & St. Louis
- Mission Support Specialists (5) - Kansas City & St. Louis
- Automotive Mechanics (5) - El Paso, McAllen, Weslaco & Rio Grande City
- Management & Program Analysts (2) - Edinburg & McAllen
- Mission Support Specialists (Generalists) (4) - El Paso, Edinburg & McAllen
- Mission Support Specialist Special Operations Group Technician (4) - El Paso
- Writer-Editor (1) - Edinburg
**Rio Grande Valley consists of Brownsville, Corpus Christi, Edinburg, Falfurrias, Harlingen, Kingsville, McAllen, Olmito, Rio Grande City and Weslaco.
- Management Analyst (1) - Seattle