Ready to Join CBP's Office of Trade?
Our recruiting process is competitive. We thoroughly vet each candidate to ensure our personnel are qualified and the best fit for each position. Before starting the application process, make sure you are eligible to apply for the position.APPLY NOW
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this position
- Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered with Selective Service
- Primary U.S. residency for at least three of the last five years. If you do not meet the residency requirement and you have been physically located in a foreign location for more than two of the last five years, you may request an exception to determine if you are eligible for a residency wavier by meeting one or more of the following conditions:
- Working for the U.S. government as a federal civilian or as a member of the military
- A dependent who was authorized to accompany a federal civilian or member of the military who was working for the U.S. government
- Participation in a study abroad program sponsored by a U.S. affiliated college or university
- Working as a contractor, intern, consultant, or volunteer supporting the U.S. government
- You may be required to pass a background investigation and/or polygraph
- CBP follows the DHS Drug-Free Workplace Plan for drug testing procedures
How to Apply For a Position Within the Office of Trade:
- Search for desired vacancy opportunity. Use the search bar to find the position you are looking for. Note that CBP is not always hiring for all positions. If you cannot find the desired position through the search, it is likely that there is no open announcement for the position, and you should check again at a later time, or save a USAJOBS search to be notified of when an announcement opens. CBP is not presently hiring for all positions, and the announcement schedule is based on projected agency needs.
- Review the entire vacancy announcement. When you find an announcement that interests you, review the announcement for important information about who may apply, job qualifications, duties, position requirements, salary, and duty location. Use this information to decide if your interests, education, and experience are a right match for the job. Be sure to take note of the human resources (HR) Contact listed on the vacancy announcement. If you have any questions during or after the vacancy open period, you will need to have this contact information.
- Apply to the vacancy. Carefully follow the specific instructions provided in the “How to Apply” section of the vacancy announcement. Be sure to submit all required documents requested in the vacancy announcement to receive full consideration. If you are unable to apply online or need reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, notify the HR Office contact identified on the announcement at least one day prior to the closing date for further instructions.
- Review your resume and/or transcripts. Ensure the work experience on your resume clearly documents your experience as it relates to this announcement/position (QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED). If your resume and/or transcripts do not clearly document how you are qualified, you may be rated ineligible.
- Submit all of the required documents. Review your documents prior to and after uploading. Your documents must clearly document your qualifications for this position/announcement.