Types / Parentheticals
- Import Specialist
- National Import Specialist
- Supervisory Import Specialist
This job series covers positions that apply compliance and import knowledge to offer advice and guidance on classification, marking, origin, admissibility, and applicability of trade agreements and all other import related commercial operations activities.
Duties at CBP
Work within this job series requires an Import Specialist to perform a variety of duties that involve furnishing authoritative information and advice to field based Import Specialists, so as to ensure the uniformity and accuracy of their decisions. Typical work assignments may include:
- Preparing advanced binding tariff classification rulings to importers and other interested persons and referring tariff related information to enhance the effectiveness of national cargo and entry summary selectivity;
- Preparing reports for the Assistant Chief Counsel (United States Court of International Trade) on court cases, protests for further review and re-appraisement cases recommending the government's position utilizing data and opinions developed in the office;
- Conducting national commodity seminars, webinars, port visits, and mini-seminars to promote accuracy and uniformity of CBP decisions nationwide; and
- Promoting Informed Compliance activities by conducting public outreach presentations and preparing Informed Compliance Publications on trade-related issues.
- Washington, DC
View the Professional Staff Application Process page for more details.