Job Category: Inspection, Investigation, Enforcement, and Compliance
Job Series: 1802 (OPM Classification & Qualifications)
Types / Parentheticals
- CBP Technician
- Lead CBP Technician
This job series covers positions responsible for technical and clerical duties requiring the application of specialized knowledge of procedures, techniques, regulations and office automation systems. The work serves to ensure adherence to provisions of CBP laws and regulations and requires extensive but less than full specialist or officer training and capability.
Duties at CBP
Work within this job series requires a CBP Technician you will become professional performing technical duties requiring application of specialized knowledge of procedures, techniques, regulations and information. Typical work assignments include:
- Preparing complex broker/import cases for decision by specialist; and reviewing declarations and cargo manifests for completeness and compliance with applicable regulations;
- Examining cargo and merchandise; applying appropriate tariff number, valve, and rate of duty and tax to merchandise; comparing passenger baggage to declarations;
- Coordinating and processing of data (permits, entries, declarations) into various automated systems;
- Assisting and providing support to CBP Officers and Agricultural Specialists on inspections, intelligence, analysis and examination of passengers, baggage and conveyances and cargo;
- Operating scanning equipment to review contents of packages; screening incoming parcels for completeness of declarations, admissibility, entry status, and contraband.
View the Professional Staff Application Process page for more details.