Job Category: General Administrative, Clerical, and Office Services
Job Series: 0318 (OPM Classification & Qualifications)
Types / Parentheticals
- Secretary (Office Automation)
This job series covers positions responsible for providing administrative and clerical support to relieve supervisor’s workload and assure the smooth operation of the immediate office and an extensive subordinate organization. As a Secretary you will provide clerical support and act as a staff assistant to an office supervisor or director. The duties do not require a technical or professional knowledge of a specialized subject-matter area.
Duties at CBP
Work within this job series as a Secretary requires knowledge of clerical and administrative procedures and requirements; various office skills; and the ability to apply such skills in a way that increases the effectiveness of others. Typical work assignments may include:
- Screening calls and visitors and referring them to the appropriate staff member, supervisor, or director;
- Reading, preparing, routing, and proofing all incoming and outgoing correspondence and maintaining required office records and files;
- Providing understandable ad hoc and recurring reports; assembling data and compiling statistics;
- Explaining non-technical office policies, procedures and conducting training to managers and staff; and
- Arranging travel, meetings, conferences and all materials needed for organizational visits.
View the Professional Staff Application Process page for more details.