Personnel Security Specialist
Job Series: 0080 (OPM Classification & Qualifications)
Types / Parentheticals
- Security Specialist
- Information Security Specialist
- Supervisory Security Specialist
- Supervisory Personnel Security Specialist
This series includes positions the primary duties of which are analytical, planning, advisory, operational, or evaluative work that has as its principal purpose the development and implementation of policies, procedures, standards, training, and methods for identifying and protecting information, personnel, property, facilities, operations, or material from unauthorized disclosure, misuse, theft, assault, vandalism, espionage, sabotage, or loss.
Duties at CBP
This position is recognized as a technical expert in the personnel security field.
Typical work assignments may include:
- Reviewing submitted investigation packages to ensure compliance and adequacy; making determinations as to type/level of investigation required; performing a variety of law enforcement and other database checks; rendering preliminary adjudicative determinations to authorize expedited appointment; initiating investigations; and reviewing polygraph examination reports, submitted documentation, and database checks;
- As part of the Post-Investigation Process, reviewing all information obtained/developed during the investigation process; issuing a variety of notices to subjects of investigation in order to resolve/clarify discrepancies and/or obtain additional information; and rendering adjudicative determination as to the subject’s suitability for employment/continued employment as a federal employee or contractor and/or eligibility to occupy a national security position and/or access to classified information;
- During the auditing process, conducting reviews of previously completed investigations and/or adjudications to ensure compliance with laws, rules, regulations, and office procedures;
- Representing the agency in various working groups and/or in formal/informal litigation hearings [e.g. Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), Merit Systems Protection Board (MSPB), arbitration] and providing detailed explanations of actions taken;
- Interacting with component offices in order to promote compliance with program requirements; and
- Serving in a project/team leader role, providing technical guidance to others on a specific project, task, or procedure.
View the Professional Staff Application Process page for more details